Homesteading Forum banner

Zuchinie(sp) and Squash way too much

3K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  LWMSAVON 
G
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've got too many of these right now and looking for a good way to store them.

Would canning or freezing be an option?

Thanks

Dave

#4 ·
Unregistered said:
Hi all,

I've got too many of these right now and looking for a good way to store them.

Would canning or freezing be an option?

Thanks

Dave
Dave, both options are ok. Freezing would be easier, if you have the space.
Chadwick's book, _The Busy Person's Guide to Preserving Food_ recommends freezing as the better preserver option. If you get tired putting it away you can alway opt for Uncle Will's solution. :p

#5 ·
I used small, thin sliced zucchini and yellow squash to make pickles last year. You can use any pickle recipe, just substituting the squash for cucumbers. I actually liked them better, as they stayed firmer and crispier. I also use zucchini to make relish, just shred it and follow the normal recipe.

I freeze grated and chunked zucchini and squash for casseroles, stir-fry's, soups and breads. I have froze slices to fry, but don't thaw first when cooking, just take them out of the frezer, coat with your crumb mixture and then fry them.

#7 ·
Yellow Squash can be cubed mixed with chopped onion steamed until tender then frozen. To cook: place frozen in saucepan heat slowly until heated.

Zucchini can be grated in small amounts and added to soups, stews or chilis.
My favorite is Mock Crabcakes which can be fried and frozen for future use.

#8 ·
They dry really well. Then keep them handy in a plastic bag to throw in spaghetti sauce, stews, etc. Dried squash makes a great stretcher for all sorts of dishes. You can dry extra cukes too and mix in with your dry squash.

G
#9 ·
Thanks for all the replys...

One of my favority ways to cook either and keep it simple is just to cut them in half length wise rake it with a fork put some provolone(sp) cheese on top and put on the grill.

Where can I get the ball book for canning? I've canned with pickles with the water bath method but haven't ever pressure cooked a non acid canning mixture.

Thanks again...

Dave

G
#10 ·
Dave temp.... said:
Thanks for all the replys...

One of my favority ways to cook either and keep it simple is just to cut them in half length wise rake it with a fork put some provolone(sp) cheese on top and put on the grill.

Where can I get the ball book for canning? I've canned with pickles with the water bath method but haven't ever pressure cooked a non acid canning mixture.

Thanks again...

Dave
You can order it from Ball.
And don't u know it I can't find the url. :p
I ordered the book along with some canning supplies from Goodman's in FL. http://www.goodmans.net/dept.asp?d=530&p=1

Shepmom
not logged in

#12 ·
I too can hardly wait for our zucchini to start coming in. I plant a few bushes for fresh eating and I also dry and freeze some. Then, I plant a couple of bushes just for zucchini relish. I have a recipe for a very sweet/spicy zucchini relish recipe that everyone in my family LOVES. I even give away a few jars with Christmas baskets during the holidays. I've had people come back and ask for more! I like it because it goes with everything, salads, sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. Also, you can use those huge zucchini that you find you've left on the vine too long cuz ya didn't know what in the world to do with the bounty! I'll post the recipe on the cooking board later today. I have to dig it up from my file.

#13 ·
Hey Dave,
The address and price for the Ball book can be found on the top flap of any box of Ball lids or on the side of some boxes. I'm talking about the big box that has the rings and the lids in it. Just go to any store that sells canning materials.

SBJ

#16 ·
Melissa said:
I used small, thin sliced zucchini and yellow squash to make pickles last year. You can use any pickle recipe, just substituting the squash for cucumbers. I actually liked them better, as they stayed firmer and crispier. I also use zucchini to make relish, just shred it and follow the normal recipe.

I freeze grated and chunked zucchini and squash for casseroles, stir-fry's, soups and breads. I have froze slices to fry, but don't thaw first when cooking, just take them out of the frezer, coat with your crumb mixture and then fry them.
I am going to do this! I just put up some bread and butter pickles and now I can't wait to make pickles with zucchini. I love the relish with zucchini.

Also, my hubby can't stand lettuce (strange, I know), so I grate zucchini and put it on things like tostados and tacos and anything else that you might add lettuce. He loves it that way.

#17 ·
thequeensblessing said:
I too can hardly wait for our zucchini to start coming in. I plant a few bushes for fresh eating and I also dry and freeze some. Then, I plant a couple of bushes just for zucchini relish. I have a recipe for a very sweet/spicy zucchini relish recipe that everyone in my family LOVES. I even give away a few jars with Christmas baskets during the holidays. I've had people come back and ask for more! I like it because it goes with everything, salads, sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. Also, you can use those huge zucchini that you find you've left on the vine too long cuz ya didn't know what in the world to do with the bounty! I'll post the recipe on the cooking board later today. I have to dig it up from my file.
Have you posted the recipe yet? It sounds like something I would really love.
Thanks!

#18 ·
Hey unregistered here is recipe:

ZUCCHINI CRABCAKES

6 cups grated zucchini
1 cup flavored breadcrumbs
6 slices of bread
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 TBSP Old Bay seasoning

Mix ingredients together and form into cakes.
Deep fry until brown.

Depending upon how much water the zucchini has in them
warrants how much bread I use. Sometimes if they are really
messy I squeeze out the liquid. Make sure the oil is hot before
adding the cakes. Sometimes they might fall apart in the pan.
This is a recipe you have to get a feel for to get good results, but it
Is so well worth it. I freeze them for winter usage. To prepare
Just heat in oven.

Hey Bailey in case queensblessings does not post her recipe here is mine:

ZUCCHINI RELISH

4 qts. minced zucchini
1 cup pickling salt
6 cups minced onions
1 cup diced celery
2 green peppers, diced
2 red peppers, diced
2 tea turmeric
1 TBS dry mustard
3 TBS celery seed
2 tea prepared horseradish
½ tea black pepper
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
5 cups white vinegar
3 TBS cornstarch

Combine zucchini with salt and other vegetables. Allow to stand overnight. Drain; rinse and drain again. Force out as much liquid as possible.
In a large pot, combine remaining ingredients; add the vegetables and bring to a rolling boil, Reduce heat and boil gently for 20 minutes. Ladle into jars. Process in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes.

#22 ·
I would be delighted to share my recipe:
2lbs young zuchinni
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 13 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 pkg powdered fruit pectin. (sure jell)
5 cups sugar
2 tbsp finely chopped crystalized ginger. I never have ginger so I ignore that part.
I have used a little cinnamon and allspice and it works well.
cut zuchinni in thin slices.
Measure 6 cups sliced zuchinni into large kettle
Add lemon juice, peel and crushed pineapple.
Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered until squash is tender about 15 min.
Add surejell. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in sugar and ginger (or whatever)
Bring to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly
Remove from heat, skim off any foam. Stir and skim 5 min to cool slightly and prevent fruit from floating
Ladle into hot sterilized jars and seal with hot paraffin.
Nobody uses paraffin anymore. I just invert the jars on a folded towel and they will seal themselves. You can seal them in a hot water bath following the directions on the sure jell instructions.
I'm sure you will enjoy the results. Solves the problem of too many zuchinnis. Now your problem will be not having enough.

#23 ·
Thanks Foxpawz, here are three more odd-ball reciepes:

ZUCCHINI PINEAPPLE

19 cups ground or cubed peeled zucchini
2 small boxes of pineapple Jello
1-48 oz. can of pineapple juice
3 cups of sugar
½ cup of lemon juice

Mix sugar, zucchini and juice. Cook until soft and zucchini turns clear, stir in Jello. Ladle into jars. Process 10 minutes in hot water bath to seal.

ZUCCHINI APPLE PIE

4 cups thinly sliced peeled zucchini
2 TBS lemon juice
Dash of salt
Dash of nutmeg
1½ cups of sugar
3 TBS flour
1½ tsp cinnamon
1½ tsp cream of tartar

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into uncooked piecrust. Bake at 375º until golden brown.

ZUCCHINI-SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes
I large celery rib, chopped
3 green onions, chopped (I used one large onion)
I small green bell pepper, diced (I used 1 large pepper)
l/4 cup olive oil (I used about 1 TBS)
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced or I I-pound can tomatoes, drained (I used 1 can Rotel tomatoes)
4 medium zucchini, sliced in1/4-inch rounds
1-teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
A sprinkle of garlic salt (I used jarred garlic)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed (I used fresh)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed ( I used fresh)
8 ounces thin spaghetti*
l/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 350°F. Sauté celery, onions, and green pepper in olive oil. Add tomatoes and zucchini. Season with salt, pepper. garlic salt, oregano, and basil. Cover and cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Combine squash mixture and cooked spaghetti; pour into 2-quart greased baking dish. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Additional grated cheese may be added as a topping.
Note: This may be prepared ahead and stored in refrigerator until final baking. For a meal-in-one dish, try adding I pound of Italian bulk sau- sage, sautéed, and combined with zucchini and spaghetti just before baking.
*Cook spaghetti now or use spaghetti you have prepared and frozen. See do-ahead tips on page 55.
Serves 6 to 8
S9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.