Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is that time of year when everyone has an abundance of zucchini and other kinds of squash. Post all of your favorite ideas/recipes here for using up every last one of these wonderful delicacies. And always remember if they get too big you can use them as make-do ball bats~very entertaining for the kids and when they bust give them to the chickens.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
We use them to discipline our children.

No, we don't beat our children with squash. We use them so that chores get done more quickly.

Here's how it works. You take your childen out into the garden and show them a tiny zucchini and tell them, "When your room is clean (or some other chore) you will have to eat this zucchini." We all know how kids like to put things off.

Well, they don't have to eat more than maybe one 87-pound zucchini before they get with the program.

Next time, they finish the chore quickly and the zucchini is gone in a couple of bites.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
The standard receipe for yellow squash

Slice and boil with onion until tender
Strain off water and mash in cassorole dish
Mix in cheese--I use cheddar but have also used jack cheese or about any mix of cheeses
Top with crushed crackers and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees
I used seasoned bread crumbs last night gave it a different flavor

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I slice mine into 1/2" strips about 3" long. Toss with sliced peppers, onions, garlic, basil, and just enough olive oil to coat. Spread on small baking tray and grill until tender - about 15 minutes (stir occasionally). Yum!!

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Zucchini Casserole

8 servings 40 min 10 min prep

1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini

Mix all ingredients and pour into greased 9X13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I used this one (from RecipeZaar) last night, but I use this instead of the Bisquick:
1 cup biscuit mix = 1 cup flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1 tbsp shortening.

It was YUMMY! Only used up TWO zucchinis though... Hubby loved it, kids loved it, *I* loved it! :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
I copied this from the many cucumbers thread posted a few days back. We pretty much use squash and zuchinni the same in everything but zuchinni bread (which I don't like and don't have a recipe for!) and squash casserole (which I LOVE!). We also feed the scraps/ones that get too big to the animals, or use for compost. I am sure everyone here does that, though!

Here goes w/ the squash (and some on zuchinni)...

we like boiled squash and onion (boil squash w/ diced onions, add butter salt and pepper),

squash casserole (a few cups of sliced cooked squash, can of cream of chicken or celery, small container of sour cream, salt and pepper....make mix of Stouffers and melted butter...layer Stouffers, squash mixture, Stouffers...bake at 400 about 30-45 minutes),

chicken packets (chicken breast, sliced squash, zuchinni, carrots, diced potatoes, with butter, S&P, and a little worcestire, spoonful of chicken broth, and sprinkle of garlic powder wrapped up in foil and sealed well...bake at 425 for almost an hour...or you can leave out potatoes and serve over steamed rice)...We have tried this on the grill, too, but takes longer, dries out and doesn't cook as evenly.

Chicken "stir fry" (blackened chicken pieces, sliced squash, brocolli florets cooked down in 1 and half cups chicken broth, 1/4 cup worcestire or soy sauce, tsp or so of garlic powder or ginger, S&P. serve over rice)

On the grill....kabobs w/ steak, chicken, shrimp, squash, zuchinni and mushrooms (a SPECIAL treat here as it is expensive) But you could do veggie only kabobs w/ hamburgers , if you wanted.

I also like plain old steamed veggies. DH boils his squash whole, then cuts it down the middle like a baked potato and puts butter and S&P on it.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Stuffed zucchini! I have a recipe for that somewhere that was WONDERFUL! I'll have to see if I can find it and post it.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I put shredded zuchinni in chocolate cake (don't tell DH!!). I like to thinly slice yellow squash and onions and saute in butter or olive oil. Season with lots of pepper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
How about zucchini bread? Make some for now and freeze a few loaves for later.

That is certainly one way to get rid of zucchini! I made a few loaves today and DD2 came for a visit. Needless to say both loaves left with DD! :p

·
Registered
940 Posts
We love this.. Take a medium sized zuke.. if it is huge cut the seeds out.. I prepare it by peeling then cutting strips basically quartering it and leaving the center seedy part out of the mix if it is large. Then cube it in to 1/2x1/2 inch cubed. toss it into a 2 quart sauce pan with some tomato chunks. I use canned cause zuke are ready well before fresh tomatoes.
I pepper pretty heavy and cook until the zuchini is soft.wife will take this same recipe and toss it into a casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs and top with cheeses. and bake. Yumo

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Cook squash and onion til tender.Chop fine.Add salt,pepper,and a dash of basil,1 beaten egg,and 2 tablespoons flour.Mix welland drop by large tablespoons into hot oil in skillet.Brown and turn and brown other side.-yummy

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
i've taken some of those big rascals, split it long way, cut ito 3 or 4 inch chunks, rub with olive oil and put the skin side down on the grill, turning just before done, then some salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Ed

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Zuchini fritters are now our favorite.

2 med. zucs shredded, salted and put in a colander to get out as much liquid as possible. Let them sit about 10 minutes and then squeeze them as dry as possible.

add those to:

1 egg whisked
about a tablespoon or so of chopped onion
1/2 cup of flour

combine and drop into a skillet with oil. I mound mine on the spoon then flatten them out somewhat in the skillet. Let them get golden brown before turning and then drain on paper towel. YUMMMM! Serve with sour cream.

·
Tweety
164 Posts
This is the time for my favorite Cape Cod story.

A fellow who had just moved onto the Cape asked his neighbor if he should keep his house locked up all the time the way he did in the city.
"No, we never bother locking our doors" replied the neighbor, "but you'd better keep your car locked up tight in August."
"Why" the newbie asked, "do you have a problem with the summer tourists?"
"No" was the answer, "the neighbors will fill your car up with zucchini!"

I have had success freezing grated zucchini in 1 cup bags, so it is ready for making nice fresh zucchini bread in the winter.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I've got zucchini growing in my garden, but just stopped at my dad's and he gave me 15 beautiful squash...

One of my favorite memories as a kid...

My dad would take the BIG zucchini and cucumbers - slice them in half - scoop out the insides and then help us make sailboats out of them.

We would take the big ones and give them into our "fat hogs" - who ate kitchen scraps. And, give a couple to the chickens. Loved watching those sows chomp on zucchini and cucumber.

As for recipes - big on zucchini bread, zucchini casseroles, fried zucchini chips (my kids' favorite), sliced zucchini fresh with sour cream/dill dip.

Here is a Web site on "What to do with zucchini" - has recipes and tips:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-zucchini.shtml

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I like them grilled, sauteed with garlic and butter, or cooked in a stir-fry.

Also LOVE zucchini relish. I just opened a pint, and have one left from 2005, so I need to make more. I think I have enough right now to get going on it. Just like pickle relish, but better!

I tried zucchini bread a couple years ago, didn't really care for it, but maybe I'll try one of the recipes using chocolate!

I made zuke fritters a few days ago too. They were really good but would've been better with some kind of cheese sauce, and I was out of cheese. I'll try again!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts