Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out one of the dollar stores is opening across the street from me. The area is zoned as residential except for a triangular piece where my road and another road merge about 1/2 mile away. I didn't realize that area extended all the way down to 1 lot to the right of directly across the street from my house.

I believe all the neighbors are against it, but it is too late now. One neighbor told me the zoning had been changed, so I looked it up and as of now it is zoned Planned Shopping Center.

What we are all concerned about is traffic, lights, noise, trash, and possible loitering and crime. Another neighbor told me that a grocery store tried to build on the far side of the triangle a couple of years ago and the neighbors were successful at stopping it. I think this time it was done on the QT without notifying us that it was planned.

Have any of you successfully stopped something like this and if so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I just found out one of the dollar stores is opening across the street from me. The area is zoned as residential except for a triangular piece where my road and another road merge about 1/2 mile away. I didn't realize that area extended all the way down to 1 lot to the right of directly across the street from my house.

I believe all the neighbors are against it, but it is too late now. One neighbor told me the zoning had been changed, so I looked it up and as of now it is zoned Planned Shopping Center.

What we are all concerned about is traffic, lights, noise, trash, and possible loitering and crime. Another neighbor told me that a grocery store tried to build on the far side of the triangle a couple of years ago and the neighbors were successful at stopping it. I think this time it was done on the QT without notifying us that it was planned.

Have any of you successfully stopped something like this and if so, how did you do it?
So, don't shop there. They will go out of business, and the building will be leased and used as a massage parlor. Win, win.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
You didn't get a notice that there was a zoning hearing coming up on the issue? I know Ohio law requires them to notify adjacent land owners but I don't know if your state does.

All I can tell you is to contact the zoning office and ask about the property and when public hearings will be held about the store. Go to the meetings and protest or write letters and ask that the letters be read into the records at the zoning hearings.

Preble county stopped one from going in close to where my mom lives. The lot was rezoned and purchased by the store real estate department. But it was the county that would not approve the location, not the residents.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
Not sure about other states but pretty sure if something like that goes in they notify abutting parcels. There should have also been a hearing I would think but I know not everyone follows municipal matters. Our small town without any other businesses has a DG and it's okay. I don't make it a habit to go there unless I'm out of sugar or nail polish. But I also wouldn't want it across the road from me either.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't get a notice that there was a zoning hearing coming up on the issue? I know Ohio law requires them to notify adjacent land owners but I don't know if your state does.

All I can tell you is to contact the zoning office and ask about the property and when public hearings will be held about the store. Go to the meetings and protest or write letters and ask that the letters be read into the records at the zoning hearings.

Preble county stopped one from going in close to where my mom lives. The lot was rezoned and purchased by the store real estate department. But it was the county that would not approve the location, not the residents.
My title is probably misleading. I think the zoning was changed 2 or 3 years ago, I just didn't realize the parcel extended all the way to my house. There has been some activity about 1/4 mile up the road from me in the past, so that's where I thought any commercial building would go. There hasn't been a for-sale sign on the property that I know of, so I was surprised when a crew showed up, cut down all the trees, and started grading the property. It looks like it's between 5 and 10 acres that have been cleared.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Most of the DG stores we see near us are kept clean on the outside, and I've never seen one with a full parking lot. The only crime we hear of is the occasional shoplifter within the store.
I've been in a few, and they would be good for an emergency run for some things.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
If they are already clearing and grading the land they probably already have their building permits.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they are already clearing and grading the land they probably already have their building permits.
I have noticed that by the grocery store, people that live nearby are out picking up trash from their yards daily. At a minimum, I want to make sure that whatever store is opened is responsible for trash pickup and keeping the neighborhood clean. we shouldn't have to go out and clean up our yards of trash their customers have thrown there. They also stay open to 10 pm which is going to create noise and light problems.

This little piece of land is just inside the city limits and the store would be better located another half mile down the road in the county where there are already businesses. I'm sure the city is looking at tax revenue and not the best interest of its residents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get out while you still can. Maybe the dollar store will pay you good money for your lot and put dumpsters there for their consumers.I don't know how connected you are to your land, but commercial might pay you well, then you can get more land for less, further away from the zombies.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts

I dont know how it goes there but here ( and virtually everywhere else) the people with money put up the dockets for the county commissioners and then they in turn wait until after the meeting to inform you of the hearing. After that, you have to pull an Ocean's 11 to change their mind.

Is there any way you can get in on that NNN lease? Maybe they are syndicated and need more investors. Dollar stores are golden right now and not going online any time soon.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I’m my towns zoning administrator, my wife is on the town board. So, we know a little of the ins and outs.
If they are building already and it’s already rezoned, then it’s a little too late to oppose it. I can only speak for around here, but they should have posted a public notice of the meeting to consider the zoning change. They are usually ignored by everyone BTW, until it’s too late. Just saying.
I don’t know what your local government is like- do you live in a town, city, or? Anyway I would contact whoever represents your area and voice your concern. They could hold the business responsible for any litter coming from the property for example. You might want to get other neighbors to back you up.
I think you’re a little late to the game though.

·
newfieannie
9,990 Posts
you could have a lot worse than a dollar store across from you. i have 2 one 5 min away and the other about 15. no mess there at all. and the inside is spotless. and how do you know the people around you wont go there? bet they flock to it when it opens. jmo i could be wrong but i thought you were selling your place anyway. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts

Yes, kind of similar. We had a group care home run by a shady operator that tried to sneak in behind us in a quiet suburban neighborhood. We spearheaded a referendum and won it So the city had to rescind her special use permit.
It was tricky because of the ADA but you wouldn’t have to contend with that.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I dont know how it goes there but here ( and virtually everywhere else) the people with money put up the dockets for the county commissioners and then they in turn wait until after the meeting to inform you of the hearing. After that, you have to pull an Ocean's 11 to change their mind.

Is there any way you can get in on that NNN lease? Maybe they are syndicated and need more investors. Dollar stores are golden right now and not going online any time soon.
Dollar general has on line shopping. Takes 10 days to get your order cost shopping my way $12
I live 4 miles from one but was unable to drive.
Its clean outside. Alot of people hired lawyers to fight it. Had pations huge amount of signed. But lost it was built.
Ours is about 10 miles outside of town. Backs up to a development. Lots are unsold behind the store but my guess is the owner made enough sell to dollar general that the unsold lots dont matter.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
You're too late.
The developer probably got a zoning change or variance accomplished and you never knew about it. These type of changes typically have to be publicly advertised in the newspaper public notices, etc., and they have hearings where those for, or against can speak, then a panel or board typically votes to approve or deny.

Since so many of us don't get a newspaper anymore, this stuff can be easy to miss until it's too late. If there isn't a bunch of opposition, these projects usually get approved, as they bring more tax base to a community.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You're too late.
The developer probably got a zoning change or variance accomplished and you never knew about it. These type of changes typically have to be publicly advertised in the newspaper public notices, etc., and they have hearings where those for, or against can speak, then a panel or board typically votes to approve or deny.

Since so many of us don't get a newspaper anymore, this stuff can be easy to miss until it's too late. If there isn't a bunch of opposition, these projects usually get approved, as they bring more tax base to a community.
Yeah, here board meetings,or special committee meetings need to be published in the local paper 2 weeks prior to the meeting. Notice is also posted on the town hall bulletin board and the post office front door.
It’s amazing and sad the lack of interest.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone remember Burma Shave signs? If not, it was a series of signs along the road that told a little story with the last sign saying Burma Shave.

I was thinking each of the neighbors could put up 1 sign in their yard so it read

Please Don't Shop At Dollar Store Thanks

as people drove by.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The DG stores here are kept fairly clean and parking lots are as clean as the area surrounding them. I do know from talking to a couple of mangers from nearby stores that shop lifting is very common and a significant part of their overhead. They seem to just look the other way a lot of the times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts