Zoning ? - AU?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Grandmotherbear, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I did a search function under "agricultural land" and got back hits labelled as AU, agric, and agricultural (plus one "commercial" for a blueberry farm - it's not in the running anyway) Does anyone know what AU stands for, or know how I can find out? I've emailed a realtor, but so far my emails to real estate companies have been ignored, since frankly, we're on the modest side, and not millionaires.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

AU Adaptive Unit maybe?

3. I don't know, how about "Agricultural Undeveloped".

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Call up the appropriate city or county, and ask to speak to the zoning department. They can tell you not only that, but any restrictions that there may be on each classification.

Unless, of course, it is an appraisal term. In that case, try the county appraisor.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Know what it means? Heck, I live there.

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

If it isn't referring to land in Australia it might mean agricultural use. Just a thought.

Mike

7. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

Terri's got it right - each township/borough/town/county/parish, etc that sets up zoning may have their own classifications, and they will all have different limitation on what in my neighborhood would be called R-1 (residential single family). You may start getting info on ratios of building footprint or square footage versus lot size, impervious area limits, building setbacks, animal quantity, etc.

Talk to your zoning authority, even if someone here had a zoning that also was called 'AU' it could be completely different - Agricultural Use versus Aviation Use ???

John

8. Grandmotherbear

Thanks-I actually got 2 replies from realtors this week- and I'll be meeting one come Monday...

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Probably "Agricultural Use". But you can call the local city, town, or county where the property is to be sure. Each city pretty much uses their own set of abbreviations and zoning descriptions.

10. Grandmotherbear

Drove through the area today. A few houses, lots of trailers, some ponies, goats and chickens...some places well kept and others a living trash heap...taxes per the ad were running $130 annual, and it's undeveloped. Mebbe I should grab it and hang on to it- never know what the future may bring...