Zone ???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Jan 4, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

According to the Map I'm Zone 6 but I was told to go by Zone 5 because of elevation.Anyone else have this problem.One thing that helps me I think is my Garden is at top of a ridge where it can get some wind and move the air around.

big rockpile

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Rocky; I thought you were in a no parking zone.. When you get above the tree line I think you change zones.. If I recall, the picture of your house didn't show trees. You say its pretty windy where you are eh? Happy Birthday
    Unk

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

According to who I ask , I'm in Zone 6 or 7. I've got a micro-climate situation that makes it even more complicated. To be safe , I lean towards the cooler Zone......jack

4. Bluebonnet

Bluebonnet Active Member

since I am in Northern zone 6 my thought is to learn toward the cooler zone for things to survive the winter and toward the warmer zone for things to do well in the summer. that is how I choose perennials.

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Elevation can effect the 'micro-climate' due to wind current changes, exposure, etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much... If it really bothers you, and there's not a zone 5 variety for the plant you wish to try, start indoors early, or offer a little protection on colder, windy days and at night for a while. One zone either way hasn't really affected anything I've done - here in IL (700 f.a.s.l.), or at 4000 feet in the mountains of Idaho. My saved seeds have worked perfectly well in both areas, but then I start most everything I can indoors anyway... Just too impatient I guess! Really just depends on how much work you want to do, and how much the particular plants can handle.

SueD