Zone five...when and what have you planted???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NewEnglandBeth, May 28, 2005.

1. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

I am curious as to what and when Zone five folks have planted.

Two weeks ago, I think, I was overly ambitious and planted some rows of corn, yellow and green beans, and carrots. NADA has come up!

Should I replant the entire rows all over again??? When in the world will our soil be a consistent temp this season????

Last night it dipped to forty degrees.....while during the day yesterday it went up to sixty plus!

Are you planning to plant everything over this Memorial Day Weekend???

By the way, my peas are doing well, and the tomatoes plants I put into the soil are doing fine as well....shouldn't that have been a good indication that I could have planted the other seeds?

2. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've planted my beans, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants, but I always wait unti mid-June for okra, because it never seems to germinate if I plant before then. The other stuff seems to grow slowly if it's cool, but it does grow (as long as you get some rain).

3. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Well-Known Member

I transplanted my herbs, broccoli, collards, and brussels sprouts seedlings that I started in March a couple of weeks ago. They're all still pretty small but they are alive and growing slowly. I planted kale, lettuce and spinach a few weeks ago, all are up and looking good. I planted zucchini and cucumbers last weekend and now I'm sorry I did because it just doesn't seem warm enough! I am putting my tomatoes and peppers in this weekend and will sow some more lettuce and spinach seeds and maybe some squash as well... my kids put in cantaloupe, carrots, lettuce, beans, and spinach. They'll be putting in corn this weekend and watermelon maybe next weekend. Pumpkins will wait until mid June.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Put the tomatoes in the ground on friday....they're about 8 weeks old.
    The peppers are staying in the greenhouse this year.
    Already out.....lettuce, brocolli, cabbage, kohlrabi and brusell sprouts.
    Squashes, cukes, pumpkins and melons are in peat pots, still in the house. they will go out this weekend or next, depending on my schedule.
    Garden huckleberries are definitely going out this week, as well as the ground cherries. Not doing beets, carrots, turnips or corn this year. They attracted the deer last year and the fence is only half way up :(

5. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Soo discouraged. Was having 80 degree weather in early April. Had 1/2 my garden planted by tax day. The end of April, just as everything was starting to peek thru, a cold snap came thru and killed most of it. I waited a couple weeks and replanted. 2-3 days later we had a monsoon that dropped I don't know how much rain on us. At one point we had 4" in 3 hours. My plots are unbordered raised beds on a slight slope. My garden flowed down hill in a big mudslide. Not much left but a dirty stain on the hillside. After a lot of raking and replanting, things are put back where they should be. I still hope so salvage a lot of this growing season, but mother nature seems to have it in for me. I've been starting and restarting seeds like crazy trying to get as much in the ground as quickly as I can. I have tomatoes seedlings, peas, corn, watermelon, cantelope,yellow squash, zuccini, cukes and pumkins a few inches tall in the ground. I have peppers (bell, habernero and jalapeno) just starting to sprout in their trays, maybe next weekend they can go in the ground. The next seeds to go in the trays will be beans (several kinds, black eyed peas are my favorite). I also have some small scallion type onions (maybe shallots) that I'm transplanting from the flower bed to the garden. I also am doing a plot of dandelions. It is going to be 650 plants and is about 1/2 planted.

6. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

About two weeks or so ago I planted wildflowers (seeds), tomatoes, green peppers and green beans (seeds). I also planted my seeds for Sunflowers which have sprouted already. Yesterday, I planted my rosemary and Lavender plants which are doing fine so far. I am 'technically' right on the line of Zones 4 & 5.

Kaza

7. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I too live on the border of zones 4 & 5. I have found the best way to "even out" South Dakota spring temp fluctuations is plastic. I put black plastic of one kind or another around or between my tomatoes and I have a large clear piece of plastic that I got from the neighbot when they were done painting the inside of there house. This just fits over one of my gardens. I put some 5 gallon buckets around my garden and then put the clear plastic on top. I weigh it down with rocks on the buckets and a few logs or fence posts around some of the edges. This creats a "greenhouse" over my whole garden and by having the buckts under it and not all of the corners held down, it keeps it from getting too hot under there. It was 10-15 degrees warmer under there yesterday and it was a cloudy day. I keep over the areas I have planted seeds the most. I have to keep taking it off my tomato plants as it was getting to hot for them and a few where starting to wilt.

As the weather warms up and stays warm I will remove the plastic and mulch everything really well. Most of my stuff is actually mulched already and I just put the plastic on top of it. HTH

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I live on the border of 5 and 6, we are getting a tiny bit warmer every decade. I transplanted tomatoes 2 weeks ago, but they are yellow and spotty and look like CRAP. I just transplanted the rest of my tomatoes, we had a sunny day today. I also planted some Swiss Chard for my Turkeys that are coming next week.
    I am going to a plant sale this weekend, I will have the rest of my plants in the next sunny day after that. And then carrots. I learned to plant my tomatoes and carrots next to each other, they like that.
    I also have a "warm" bed right next to the house for herbs, so I can plant them early and use them early.

9. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

The only thing looking decent in my garden so far are the brussel sprouts and the potatoes are up and growing well. Of course both of those things haven't minded the cooler weather. My tomatoes look pretty bad too, but at least now have some blooms on them. The beans have done next to nothing - only about 6 small plants up, and the slugs have enjoyed those. Going to replant them this weekend - if I have a boatload of beans later, thats fine. The gourds are usually in the ground by now, but won't be going in until this weekend. The weather seems to finally be warming up - so things should take off.......hopefully.

10. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

I just reseeded both yellow and green beans. Some green beens are peeking through, but not many.

This afternoon, I'm going to reseed the carrots.....I'll try to put them next to the tomatoes, and see how that works out.