Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on varieties to grow up near Duluth MN. Any kind of vegie, herb for human consumption.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hey...I am not far from there! I am looking for some good heirloom plants too. DH's friend tried some this year or last year, I will email him and see what kind he planted and how successful he was. I will post if I get any info.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Try Oregon Spring tomatoes. They do well for me. I also grew King of the North peppers in my "cattle panel greenhouse" & covered it with plastic in the fall which extended my season long enough for red peppers. Sage, chives, comfrey, rhubarb, garlic, gooseberries, sunroots,parsnips, beets. Irish Eyes/Garden City Seeds catalog has a lot of short season varieties that have done very well here.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
For tomatoes, Oregon Spring is listed at 60 days from transplant. Using that as standard, you'll find a few others earlier but lots in the 70-75 day range. I've got Oregon Spring (60), Legend (68), and Marglobe (72) for all-purpose red canners. For a yellow like them, I've got Taxi (68).

Martin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
don't forget the bush green beans. :) blue lake should be in the 50-60 day range. i've saved seed from blue lake for several years now.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This whole heirloom thing has interested me for a long time but I never have done any seed saving. Are their any good books on the subject? And thank you all for the info so far.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
This whole heirloom thing has interested me for a long time but I never have done any seed saving. Are their any good books on the subject? And thank you all for the info so far.
The best book on seed saving is "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth and published by Seed Savers Exchange. It covers just about everything. However, not all vegetables can be easily propagated for seed in cold zones as many are biennials. Fruiting and vining crops are usually OK but not root crops or some of the brassicas.

Martin

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TTT anymore ideas? Martin I got the "Seed to Seed" book from the library and it was excellent. I grew up in the Prairie du Chien area, Heritage farms is straight across the river from our dairy farm. Never knew about it. Next time I'm home during the summer I'll be sure to visit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts