Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can imagine zippo lighters being the main way fires are started long after a major TSHTF event because they are refillable,reliable and easily maintained.I recommend having many of these on hand for your own usage and barter.

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
interesting use of common materials to rebuild them if I am ever in a pinch I will have to remember that.

I do remember hearing that men would "dip" a gas tank to fill several guys lighters.

in WWII only a few of the Sherman tanks were diesel the majority of trucks were gas.

later the US military switched to a single fuel JP8 it is very close to Kerosene , #1 heating oil or Jet A it runs in diesel trucks and it runs in the cold where #2 oil would jel.

in most northern states in the US from November to March sometimes April our #2 diesel fuel is thinned with #1

I have a few zippo lighters very handy , just remember to test them and fill them before leaving the house , I do keep a can of lighter fuel in the truck. I find I need to fill the one I carry daily about every 2 weeks it doesn't change that much if you use it or not , Amazon sells zippo parts you can get 72 flints and 8 wicks for 15 dollars that should hold most anyone for a good while.

https://www.amazon.com/Dispensers-Flints-Lighter-Replacement-Co-pack/dp/B06X99RD36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539053865&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=zippo+flints+and+wicks&psc=1

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
The problem I have with Zippo lighters is I will fill it when I'm going to smoke my pipe out on the porch. I will relight my pipe may 3 or 4 times. Then, a week later when I want to enjoy another bowl full, the Zippo is bone dry.

Reactions: damoc

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
evaporation is an issue even if I don't use the lighter for a while about every 2 weeks they need a fill.

on the flip side you can fill one and light a number of things.

there is a definite maintenance trade off , you spend a couple of minutes a week on maintenance about even in cost to buy disposable lighters

so I suppose it becomes a matter of philosophy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes evaporation is a problem when I was using them daily it was just part of my morning routine to fill up plus I had the ability to fill them with stuff i normally would carry to work like starting fluid and gasoline.now I rotate a bit from Zippo to Bic depending on my day.

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
Because of the evaporation issue, I bought a butane insert for my Zippo. It works great and gives we weeks of lighting between refills.

Butane Torch Flame insert for Zippos
upload_2018-10-10_9-28-29.png

Butane Pipe Lighter insert for Zippos
upload_2018-10-10_9-29-27.png

1 - 6 of 6 Posts