Zicam warning

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by puglady, Jan 23, 2007.

1. puglady

puglady Well-Known Member

If this post is not in the right place, mods please feel free to move. I wasn't sure.
    I received a shocking email from an acquaintance of mine yesterday. She is a busy homeschooling mom, and is an absolutely amazing caterer and wedding cake maker, etc. in our town. She has even done cooking classes for our Christian school, donated to-die-for desserts for functions.
    She felt a cold coming on Jan. 1 and used Zicam (puts zinc in your nostrils, or something like that :shrug: ). Now she has completely lost her sense of smell and taste. In researching her side effects, she found that in 70% of the people that this has happened to, the effect is PERMANENT! She emailed asking for prayer that the Lord will work in her situation, but also to warn others. Apparently, this is a sensitivity issue -- I know several people that have used this stuff with no ill effects -- but if you're sensitive and use it, it may be too late to know that!!
    Not trying to scare anyone, just passing on an alert from someone I know.

2. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning, I've always wondered about that stuff, seems to good to be true, I'm going to pass this on to my sister they use it alot over there, and 70% is a high percentage.

3. sgl42

sgl42 Well-Known Member

thanks for the warning. i wasn't aware of this.

googled and found: zicam has already paid a $12 million settlement (admitting no wrong, of course) to 300 people in a class action lawsuit. (see article towards the bottom is the reference to the lawsuit.)

4. madness

madness Well-Known Member

AAAHHH! That makes me so mad! I have tried very hard to cut out "unnatural" medications in my life - completely for unnecessary ones (but try to fight a kidney infection without antiobiotics…). How can that company sell their product to us!?!

Known side effects from drugs are one of the top 10 causes of death in this country. KNOWN side effects. That doesn't include drug interactions or weird cases.

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Oh man! And here I figured since it's supposed to be a Homeopathic remedy (using Zinc), it would be a safe remedy. I've noticed when I use it or anything else with Zinc (lozenges, etc.), it really messes up my sense of taste, but the problem seems to go away the next day.

6. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member