Zest for life is gone...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Apr 9, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Well, we banded our rams about 24 hours ago, tails and testicles.
    (They're just over 2 weeks old)
    I was expecting them to be weird for several hours, but had heard they would be back to their old selves by now.
    Should we be concerned? All they want to do is lie around. They're eating but appetites are not great. I feel Horrible! They look like they're in misery.

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

If someone banded you I doubt you would be kicking up your heels in joy by the next day. They are probably in pain. Give them a few days to heal.

3. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

That's why a knife is so much better. Over and done with in a minute, instead of throbbing pain for days.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Our lambs are generally bouncing about an hour after tails, and last year's rams were fine within a few hours (some sooner.) I band tails at two days...the tail gets bigger as they get older, making it more stressful. I wether the ram lambs at two weeks. Doing both at the same time no doubt has increased the stress; you could give them a dose of Vitamin B to help out.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We band hundreds every year, the pain is very temporary. If yours are still acting off, give them a dose of 12cc's of black coffee (not decaf) . Or add sugar if you're feeling bad.

6. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Or give them all one children's aspirin.

7. kesoaps

Coffee? Really? Now that's a simple fix, and it sure beats a needle!

8. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Our's bounce back quickly, within a few hours, after banding. Are you sure you didn't trap a teste halfway? Sometimes a band can be accidentally placed, pinching the teste in half, leaving the lamb in agony. Or a band can be placed too high up near the body, pinching off the urethra and not allowing the lamb to pee.

9. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

No one mentioned it but hope you vaccinated as tetanus is a danger when banding.

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thanks for your responses. I think they are perking up a little. I brewing some coffee now.

I didn't know about the urethra thing. i know the bottle lamb is urinating, but I haven't noticed if the lamb out with the ewe is.

I'm going to be done with long tailed sheep after this.
    Yidrosie, I like the idea of learning to do castrate with a blade. What age range would you want them to be for that procedure?

11. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

Make sure you didn't trap a male organ with the testies, that would make any creature wail. Ours usually are up in an hour after banding. After castration they generally don't show any signs, suprisingly there are not as many nerves running down there as one would think.

12. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember when I was banded, I didn't feel like doing anything for days. Now I just sit on the porch and watch all my buddies go out and have fun down the road. But my wife is happy.....

13. kesoaps

14. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

Slev, are you referring to the wedding band?

15. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Slev, I got banded last year, "Lucrin" which has the same effect. Cant say it has made my wife happy at all! :shrug: