Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter Jess had her 2nd baby friday evening.. While his arrival wasn't quite as exciting as Zade's was (no 100mph drive, no police chase).. tho it was midnight.. on a very foggy night during deer breeding season LOL.. We were at the hospital 20 minutes this time.. which felt much more relaxed then the 14 minutes we were there before Zade was born...

Just like last time Jess' labor was SHORT.. first contraction was at 10:25.. another 12 minutes later.. then 7 minutes.. then 6 (we were getting ready by then LOL).. a couple more at 6minutes..then down to 4.. (I began trying to call the hospital .. so they could call Jess' doctor as we neared West Plains..the phone in Labor & Delivery just rang and rang.. no one ever answered.. they were all busy with an emergency c-section).. she hit 2 minutes as we hit town.. (not a sound of pain came out of that girl. she never moaned, groaned or complained..she was still able to talk thru contractions until she hit the 2 minute apart ones.. as we pulled into the Er entrance it was 12:19.. she walked in.. down the hall ...into the elevator.. up to L&D.. told the nurse she was about to deliver (poor little thing.. didn't seem to really believe us.. guess most about to be moms are sweaty or screaming or something??? at least the ones she see LOL.. told her this was a REPEAT precipitous labor and that her Doctor was going to be mad if she missed the birth (I know her Doc lives less then 1 1/2 miles from the hospital) Nurse of course wanted to check her before calling the doctor.. Jess was now a minute apart on contractions.. She was 8 cm & 90% effaced -1 station.. I still told her to go call NOW>>> Doctor arrived in just a few minutes (Jess had 2 or 3 more contractions while waiting.. no talking thru those)..Doctor walked in..looked at her face.. told nurse get ready FAST.. we are having a baby NOW.. they barely got Jess on the bed and feet up before the urge to push.. smart mama that she is... she told her doctor she wanted to try to hold him in thru one or two contraction... so everything would go slow and stretch instead of tearing..(she had to hold Zade the entire 40 or so mile drive.. only thing that kept him from delivering in the car was that he was OP/sunny side up.. but holding him in allowed a slow decent, so no tearing then either).. jess was able to hold thru only one contraction.. she said she could feel him sliding downward.. it was so cool to watch the baby deliver himself (Jess did NO pushing at all).. he just slowly slide out and turned while doing it.. right into the Doctor's waiting hands.. his apgar scores were 8/9.. Jess had no tearing.. afterbirth came just as expected.. She literally could have gotten up off the table... gotten dressed.. picked up her baby and came back home AND been feeling well enough to get up and do morning chores LOL... Of course they wanted us to stay longer then that..(tho we did get to break out the next afternoon instead of 24 hours)..

Gage Avery Boaz arrived at 12:39am Sept 20th.. weighing 8lb 3 ounces.. Mom & baby are doing great.. yaya is once again.. head over heels in love

Zade is getting use to not being the only child in the house.. He was less then thrilled when we brought Gage home (he had seen him in the motel the night before and really enjoyed looking at him.. but I think he thought the baby was part of the motel decor LOL.. when we walked in the door with him.. he burst into tears and walked around muttering something about mama and yaya.. no.. no.. no.. ).. with a few days of being a big brother under his belt.. he is now all about helping.. he throws aways diapers.. gets wipes.. is being gentle (having all the baby goats this spring and his having to be gentle really helped us in that department).. here's a few pics..
Gage & his mama Jess
Gage and his fat, sappy yaya
Zade giving him cuddles

((I'm just hoping there are MORE grandbabies in our future.. right now she's happy with her two boys.. I'd love her to have one or two more.. time will tell))

susie (who NOW that human baby is here.. needs to work on her BREEDING schedule and get breeding season started)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
congratulations all around. loved the story :) may the highest blessing be yours, each of you :)

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Tango... do you still have your American bulldog?... Baby Gage has a self appointed body guard.. his *uncle* Riley has taken it upon himself to watch over the baby at all times..he's very gentle with him (which is good, because Uncle Riley is only 9 months old and a big, clumsy oaf of a puppy LOL)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hi Susie, Yes, Tsaheylu turns one year old this Saturday. I will be breeding her to my Scott bred AB, grandson of G.CH. Crusher this December or January :)

Love Riley. Beautiful. What a bunch of handsome boys you have at your house! That is the work ethic of he AB that I find so extraordinary. self-appointed and excellent :)

Attachments

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lovely girl.. Riley is our 2nd AB.. Moon was our first.. (female.. Joshua Ol' southern white breeding).. she was a sweet heart.. but really high strung and overly aggressive.. she LOVED Zade in the beginning.. but as he became a toddler.. she decided she too could correct him.. she resented getting in trouble for growling at him.. to the point that she became overly sensitive and anticipated getting corrected herself.. (we kept them in different rooms.. tried to not make a big deal of it.. but living life like that was stressful .. for all of us.. including Moon.. back in Jan.. she was laying in a chair in the livingroom.. I just happened to turn around in time to see what really happened.. Zade walked by the chair.. Moon's eyes cut towards me.. (I'm guessing she wasn't wanting to have to get up or go in the other room.. so instead of growling at him.. she lunged forward.. thankfully the force of the chair threw Zade backwards.. her teeth just grazed his face and the top of his head.. I stood up (attempting to stay calm.. knowing he had not been hurt.. trying not to make too big of a deal out of it for Zade's sake.. she began to growl at me and advance on me.. I stood my ground and told her to go to the other room.. she went.. about 15 minutes later. I walked in there.. she got up from her bed and advanced on me... I knew the only solution for the situation at that point.. (if she no longer respected me.. no one was safe).. I just could not bring myself to shoot her..but the vet was fearful of her.. so we sedated her ourselves and had the vet get the final injection.. we were all heartbroken.. and somewhat riddled by guilt.. BUT.. I could never have re-homed her.. nor could I have lived with myself had she actually hurt Zade.. I however was not ready to write off the American bulldog breed tho.. not for one dog with an iffy temperament ... (that breeder has a history of dogs returned for killing other pets.. biting people..etc).. I think this bloodline would do better in a working (schutzhund type home.. even a hog hunting home) we had no human babies in the house nor plans for any when she joined our house hold.....
SO, for the 2nd American Bulldog... we intentionally looked for an ALL Johnson bred MALE puppy.. I told Riley's breeder I wanted a lower ranking male.. (Moon had been the dominate pup -of both sexes- in her litter).. If anything Riley is overly soft.. his feelings are easily hurt.. he is afraid of dark spooky things at night.. (he likes to have me out there as his back up LOL).. but I think he'll become braver as he matures..Unlike Moon, who was always so serious about everything..easy to anger.. pouting.. etc.. Riley is ALWAYS happy.. never seen him pissy about anything.. he LOVES Zade (who uses him as a cushion).. Riley lets the Pug dominate him all the time.. he is no where near as smart as Moon was.. but that's okay.. with the Zade & now Gage in the family... I'll take big, dumb and sweet ...

susie

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
oh that is so sad about Moon not working out. i know there are several lines of AB that have aggression problems and they are the hog hunting lines. i changed my mind on a couple of breeders because of how they described their dogs aggression as natural. even crusher had some pups come out aggressive as they matured. joey is 7 years old now and has never been bred and he's never shown aggression- he is something like how you describe Riley. tsaheylu is very submissive but she was the first born and alpha in her litter. unbelievably obedient. never had a dog i could call off when it was turned on but i can call her off anytime. i love the johnson dogs but for me , lol, it is so hard to find a pretty one like riley. when they are pups i can't tell what they will look like when they are grown and some of the johnsons dogs are too strange for me. they were my pop's favorites though. when i see one i always remember my father. :)

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
What a FABULOUS addition to your herd, Susie.
Bet the fact that they're both bucks doesn't bother you a bit, does it? ;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Obviously Jess could teach classes in "childbirth the quick way!!" LOL. Good for her!
Congrats to the whole family...we just entered month 4 of the twins life and so far, so good. With this milestone passed the chances of "vanishing twin" happening is greatly reduced and a big relief to us all. I strongly suspect this will ultimately lead to a surgical delivery...not quick, but sometimes necessary. We saw the kids this past Wednesday and checked out my accommodations at their house for next spring. Many hands are going to be needed for a few months, years, decades...lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts