yurt wants H2O, not electricity

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 7khill, May 21, 2005.

1. 7khill

7khill New Member

--I live at 7000 feet above Grand Junction Colorado and have drilled a 410' well with aprox.12gpm. I have some hard choices to make since money has become tighter than anticipated. The first thing to strike off the list is electricity.
    --Without electricity in the house I am stumbeling on how to proceed on the water system. I was thinking of using a propaine generator to pump into a storage tank, and to use a propaine on demand heater for my tub and sink's hot water needs. I've always been on city water before so these questions are new to me. Does anyone have experience with a system like this? I'd love some knowledge.
    --Thanks, 7000hill

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I Think you meant to say that you live 7000 feet above GJ, which means that since GJ is at 4597+7000 = 11,597. Am I correct?? That is just a tad bit higher elevation than I'd like to live at but if you're happy so be it . Now , to your question.....No electricity , and low On Funds , well , you're going to need a 10kw genset that runs on Gasoline , NOT LP gas . Why , because first OFF , Propane gensets Automatically produce 10%...LESS energy per combustion cycle than gas . Plus , for every 1000 feet above Sealevel your gas genset is going to LOOSE about 4% of it's rated out put . So , let's say your living at 10,000 feet with a 10kw genset....(10 x 4 =) 40% reduction so a 10kw genset will only beable to produce 6 kw or so .
    ...............Now , to the water thing.......I would advise you to procure one of those 2500 or 3ooo gallon plastic tanks and shelter it so it Won't freeze . Next , I'm assuming that your submersible pump is operating on 240 v ac current if it is pumping 12 gpm from 410 down in the well bore . IT should be more than capable of pumping water into a 3000 gallon tank . More than likely your going to have to start the genset when you get home from work and let it run until the tank has been filled . Next , you'll need a small pressure tank and a 1\2 horse pressure pump that will draw water from the larger storage tank . This should be more than capable of providing water for your household needs . You and sweetthang will have to do a Communal shower :eek: :dance: to conserve water , Don't you Know!!!!
    ................If , you had the Funds you could setup a solar system with an adequate number of Solar panels , wind generator , large bank of storage batteries , and the controller that will interface all sources of energy production and a converter that would take the collective energy from your storage batteries and INvert it up from 12\24\48 volts DC into 240\120 volts AC current . A 1 horse well pump\motor will draw about 25 amps to start and RUN on about 10 amps at 240 volts AC . SO 10 amps x 240 volts = 2400 watts . BUT , the INITIAL draw of 25 amps is the butt kicker cause ...25 x 240 vac = 6000 watts . A solar system that can provide 6000 watts , Even on a MOMENTARY basis will be VERY pricey . This is where the CONTROLLER diagnoses the Demand for power and will Automatically start the generator to Supplant the Power available from the Solar system . An automatic solar\generator system will run you around 10k , if your lucky and you teach yourself HOW to do most of the wiring and setup . Hope I've partially answered your question , fordy.. :)

3. 7khill

7khill New Member

fordy, thanks for the imput.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................After rereading your post I'l guess you're at 7,000 feet elevation , not the 11,000 foot or so . IF , you'll provide US with alittle more Detailed info about your situation I'm sure that there alot of folks who will provide additional idea's and information to help you get started . There are a considerable number of participants on this forum who are living "off the Grid" . The MORE you tell US the more we can help . I'm one of those tWo fingered typists who has to redo everything I submit to make sure it makes some sort of sense . My big brother dropped me on my head when I was Kid :eek: and all my Marbles still haven't rolled back to the same spot :D , fordy.. :)

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Are you up on Grand mesa or in the Glade Park area? Just nosey. Why don't you look into a slow solar pump to pump into a storage tank. Then a solar system to charge some batteries and use a 12v dc pump to a pressure tank and you are all set. I'd certainly get solar before I would buy a genset. I used solar when I lived in Debeque for several years. Sure would have been nice to have water too. That is a real good area for solar.

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

One place we lived was without power but had hills.....when we put in the well we bought a generator large enough to run the submersible pump. We used a honda 4500 and it worked fine. We filled the storage tank and gravity fed the house. For heating water we used a standard gas hotwater heater supplemented with solar hot water. For electric we used solar panels to charge batteries.....ran our lights, TV, and stereo.

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Fordy, how do you know all of this stuff? I just got a real lesson reading your post. They are always so informative.

8. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

It would be hard work, but not impossible, to use a hand pump even with water at that depth. It would take a while to fill a bucket with water, but it is doable (although it is easy to pump by hand from a shallower well). Also, it is easy to heat water on a wood stove and not use propane for that task either. We managed to raise 3 boys in our first home where we lived for 12 years, and pumped all the water by hand, except one summer when we needed irrigation water for a week or so, and when we needed to fill the wringer washer and rinse tubs with water to do the laundry once a week. Then we put the electric motor (in your situation a small gas engine would do the same job--we have a wind and solar electric system to run the motor) on the pump jack on the hand pump to pump water to do laundry. Much of the year the water warmed enough just sitting in the sun, and in the winter we pumped it the night before so it could warm to room temp, and then added some water that was heated on the stove.

This way is more work, though, and doesn't provide the great amounts of easily wasted water that most people have become accustomed to using.

Jim

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I saw a solar pump setup on ebay for about 6 grand,so solar may not be an option here.

booBoo

10. 7khill

7khill New Member

Thank you for your imput. I am still investatgating the best system to put into my Glade Park property (on a 7k foot hill). We have a little money and are capable workers. Right now we are considering some solar power as well. The present proposal has our drilled 410' well with a 550gallon cistern/ DC pump/ float switch/ controller. The power will be from 4-120w panels/ controller/ 4 batteries (48v for well pump)/ small inverter and finally an AC H2O pump to get the water into our yurt. I'm still collecting details on the system and will post details when my research is a little more complete. The yurt is taken care of and the foundation and platforming are designed and ready. The septic (required by county) is planned. Water is the only system left to plan and it seems there is no "right" way to do it. How would you set up water for less then $4K? My biggest issue is racing the winter.

Thanks-- :baby04: