yurt live-ers

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cindyc, Dec 30, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

What yurt company did you use and why? We are considering getting a small basic yurt for while we build. :)

Thanks in advance
    Cindyc.

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I looked seriously at a yurt, but by the time I had it liveable (i.e. foundation etc) the cost was astronomical. I checked with several companies, all were in the same ballpark.

I ended up building a shed and living in that (it now houses chickens and 'stuff'!). Were I to do it again, I'd build the shed a bit bigger, with a sleeping loft, and INSULATE THE THING. :)

Have fun with your adventure, and send pics if you do get a yurt. They are sooo pretty!

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband wanted to get one and we looked at Pacific Yurts. They were very nice but seemed a bit too draft for this climate. Morningstar on this forum lives in one and she just posted a picture a few days ago.

4. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a Pacific Yurt. Mostly because we live about an hour from them and were able to really check them out and visit the model yurts. We really researched all of the yurt and dome companies though and what we kept coming up with is that Pacific Yurts are the best. So that's what we did :)

Here's some pic's. Let me know if you have any questions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

Does it make that flapping tent noise when its windy?

Cute pictures! :)

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Some friends of ours looked at Pacific, but then went with Nesting Bird because of a few features they could get that weren't available from Pacific. I don't remember exactly what they were now.

I like their's, and they're very unique, but the cost per square foot is pretty high. They are not an economical alternative. You can actually build a small house of the same square footage for less money.

7. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

We've been checking them out, too. We're about 1/2 an hour from Pacific, so we get to stop by and dream often! :)

8. Lizza

Yes, we sometimes get flappy noises! We got the snow/wind kit and it doesn't really go anywhere but the whole roof can kind of "flap flap" when the wind picks up.

No, they aren't really cost effecient. We had really unique problems to overcome.

#1 we are two families and couldn't live in say one small trailer.

#2 we needed housing ASAP because the building we were living in was basically being condemed and we didn't want to move back to town. We put the yurts up in a weekend and everything was basically done within a few weeks.

#3 we needed something that was at least a grey area as far as the county is concerned. We live in a very strict county and yurts are kind of "grey". They have a vinyl roof, and are technically portable.

We put in a cheap mobile as are "primary residence" and then use the yurts to actually live in. Here in Lane County you can't actually camp on your land (even if you own in outright) so we needed something we could permit quickly (the trailer) but we couldn't actually live in what we permitted. So it was our solution. Maybe not the best, it was very expensive, but I'm not too sure what else we would have done on short notice. We could have done something different I suppose but we didn't.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I like your thinking,gotta beat em at their own game,and you did.

Looks snug,how is it livability wise?

Beautiful setup you have.

BooBoo :gromit:

10. Lizza

It is mostly liveable. It's hard because basically they are just a really nice tent. My yurt is a concrete floor (my husband is a contractor and pours a lot of concrete) and my sister's is built above the ground on a wood platform (used Pacific Yurts plans). Mine is much warmer and they are doing some extra insulation now. They can be cold and it's hard because we both have kids and they are basically one big room (a little too cozy!). I do like them though and all and all weren't a bad choice.

11. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I was a supervisor for a construction company. We had done a lot of work for a Non-Profit Camp in the County. While we usually built multi-story buildings and did major renovations on the same type of buildings we did erect two Pacific Yurts on the camp.

I was impressed with the quality of all the materials and the help of the yurt company. The yurts did not have any heat so I can't comment on warmth during cold weather. Both had domes that opened during warm weather and two doors on opposite sides.

I had heard of other manufactures but Pacific was the yurt of choice for people whom had experience with other makers.