Yum! Dewberries!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Mar 10, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

The dewberries are blooming and I can't wait to pick them. My dad's place is covered with them along the fence lines. Last year I picked about 4 gallons and washed them and put them in the freezer and wouldn't you know it. We were gone for a weekend and the freezer went out and I lost all of my berries! :waa:
    We are shopping for a new freezer. I am planning to pick until I collapse. :haha: I love blackberry cobbler like my mama makes. I am going to make jelly and jam. I can't wait. I love dewberries. Can't you tell.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Never heard of dewberries before, and 2 posts about them in 1 day!!!!

I did a search on them, found out what they are, and am now jealous!

3. NativeRose

Where do you live birdie poo? Maybe I'll send you some if you aren' too far away.

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I'm in foggy souther California!!! Haven't seen the sun in some time. We actually got more rain than Seattle!!!!

I have some blackberries but they are in such poor shape. I didn't get any fruit, last year, the berries were so small that they dried up fast and the birds got them all. Saw some more canes coming up around the original one, but hubby mowed them over, because he doesn't look where he's going!!

5. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Hope you have better luck this year, NativeRose. Why don't you can the berries/juice, then ya don't have to depend on the freezer at all. I know how it is when there's a failure. We lost a big bunch of meat once, but that was my fault for not sealing the door. Margo

6. spunkey22

spunkey22 Member

I just planted 3 Thornless berry plants, I planted them close to a fence made out of hog wire but i think I might need to build a trellis for them and train them to grow where I can pick them better and they won't weight my fence down. What do you think?"I love them too!

7. NativeRose

I visited a place where they grew them on a fence of hog wire between two tall wood posts. I was amazed at the size of the vines. They keep them pruned-cut off all the old canes. They had berries all over the place. They grew them to sell. I am just getting started with tame berries. I still love picking wild berries. :) Wild berries that you have picked dodging thorns, snakes and other critters are just so flavorful. :haha: :haha:

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We have Dewberries,Blackberries,and Blueberries.It is a major fight with Deer,Turkeys,and Birds every year.

big rockpile

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Well-Known Member

I put in a search too, and all I found were dewberrie Labradores and this poem:

They grew in brambles
    along a barbed-wire fence.
    Within days that summer
    and right before our eyes,
    like our own strange bodies
    ripening with pubescence,
    they'd turn from greenish-white

to pink, pink to red,
    and red to dark purple.
    The night after we picked them,
    our tongues still blue with guilt,
    the maps of our skin
    covered with hundreds
    of thin red highways

scribbled by their thorns,
    and stinging, we'd picture,
    before we fell asleep,
    the buckets brimming with them
    on grandma's kitchen table,
    pregnant with the promises
    of muffins and a cobbler.

Larry D. Thomas

10. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

11. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

What's the difference between dewberries and Blackberries? I am growing thornless blackberries on trellis. While they are much easier to pick that way they don't have the flavor of blackberries with thorns. I also pic and make jelly out of wineberries which grow wild here in the Blue Ridge. That's what I give away for Christmas gifts. They are very seedy but the seeds are really small so they don't annoy you as much as other berries seeds do.

Laura Lynn

12. Jenco

Jenco Well-Known Member

Oh what memories your post draws back to my mind's eye NativeRose!!! As a youngster in Louisiana I remember my mama handing me the biggest bucket I could carry on my own and sending me off to the pasture to collect dewberries. She made jams and dewberry pies. I remember eating about the same amount I put in the bucket! Any time I've ever tried to bring up dewberries, people always look at me like I'm off my rocker! :haha: I wish we had them here in Phoenix... but we don't have much of anything but cactus & dust. :waa:

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Haven't had any since we moved away from Alabama when I was 13. Used to pick buckets of them. I would make cobbler in the big old dutch oven. There were never any left overs either!

14. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Blackberries are a bush and can be thornless or thorned. Dewberries grow on vines and are thorned, unfortunately no thronless. Dewberries are larger and milder than blackberries, ripen earlier, and are 1" by 1 1/2" blue-black berries. I have blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and dewberries. :haha: Thats a lot of berries, oh and grapes.

15. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

I remember when I was a kid growing up behind my G-mas house there was a Field that had a spot in the middle that had about 2 acres covered with dew berries man they where so good. As was use to go every week end to stay there and pick berries all day long for 2 days and sell all the berries we picked there was usually 2 to 4 of us picking and selling them are main customer was G-ma. But we set a stand up along the main highway and made good money for a few months a year. Bought school cloths with the money come time for that.Them was the good old days bout 23 yrs ago. glad I still remember a little of it as I have sever memory loss do to whack to the head racing motocross a few yrs. back and current med's for my back . Later Matt