Yukon Gold ??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, May 27, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I planted Yukon Gold Potatoes early.The plants seem healthy enough but not many Blooms,they do have Potatoes.Is this Normal?

I planted Kennebec later and they are blooming like crazy.

big rockpile

2. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Rock,

I've planted the Yukon golds for the past few years and never really see a ton of blossoms. NIce Potatos though

Good Luck

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

It's quite common for early potatoes to fail to blossom. Two factors will cause them to bloom, one good and one bad. One is high stress brought on by drought and hot conditions. The second is when there actually is excess energy being produced while the plant is producing tubers. So, few or no blooms on early varieties is a good thing.

Martin

4. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

Mine don't bloom much, but they hill up tall and have tons of potatoes :> I think that when you keep forcing them up they bloom less. I have various potato volunteers off to the side of one the compost piles and they have lots of foliage and will flower a bunch, but of course there probably aren't many potatoes under there. They do work up the soil with no help from me though, so I let 'em grow and enjoy looking at them.

~Michael in Boise