Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 4 acron squash plants this year to fill in a couple of areas that the DW's herb garden didn't come up. Plants did great. But they weren't acorn squash. They're zucchinni! All 4 plants.

Yuk!! We both hate zucchinni. What can I use these things for beside target practice?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
squash pies...just like pumpkin pie

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
zucchini like pumpkin pie...hardly.
Try making zucchini bread. It is nice and moist and doesn't give a squash flavor to it.
You could also let them get to be "baseball bats" as in very large, then cut lengthwise, scoop out the center, mix the chopped up center with meat, rice, tomato, onion, garlic, peppers, then stuff back into the shell. Very good.
You can also grill them with oil and vinegar and again you won't taste the zucchini as its flavor is extremely mild and takes on the flavor of the seasoning.
Or, use them to torment your neighbors. Drop them on the porch when they aren't looking. They'll be tired of eating them after a week or two of anonymous drop0ffs.
Ann

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
anniew said:
zucchini like pumpkin pie...hardly.
Ann

you are right...it's much better than pumpkin pie. that was the easiest way i could describe it without writing a whole chapter.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's really tasty if you take the small ones and slice then lenghtwise. Then put them on some foil, drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Fold up the foil and put them on your grill for a few minutes. YUM!!

You can also shred them, freeze in 2 cup portions, and use them in cakes & breads.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had both the bread and pies. Don't care for either. And don't bother suggesting breading and frying. That is the grosest way ever. Might try them like Cindy suggested. If that isn't good it just might be off to the shooting range with them. Or maybe I'll find some kids with firecrackers. They're always looking for something to blow up.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
search for a recipe for zuchinni crab cakes.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Well wy white wolf... August 8th is only 2 days away!!!!
:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WildernesFamily said:
Well wy white wolf... August 8th is only 2 days away!!!!
:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors
I don't hate my neighbors that much!!! They'ed lynch me for doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
sure wished you lived close enough to me...I would be happy to help you get rid of them.....YUMMMMMMMMMMMMY my favorite squash is zucchinni...yummy...love them just sauteed in EVOO with tons of cajun spice on them...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My chickens love zucchini!! Do you or your neighbors have chickens, pigs or anything else that will eat zucchini?

You could also put a Free Zucchini sign up at the end of your driveway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts