Yucca plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Selena, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

The new place has 2 yucca plants in two corners of the garden area. I'm not overly fond of them but would rather find them a new home than just rip them out and compost them. Evidently they are hardier than I thought as I'n on the IL/WI state line. Would I have to dig out the entire plant (one is quite large) or can it be split a la hosta?

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Yuccas are like horseradish - if you dig them out, but leave even the teenist of roots in the ground, a new one will grow.

The problem might be finding someone willing to take one!

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I agree that they're not usually much to look at, but the blooms are nice. And I really don't know the best way to try to get rid of one, but I ran across this site and thought it was interesting. I didn't know how useful they are!

Yucca

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm several hours north of you, and they're sort of hardy here. Freecycle in the spring?

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

The roots make a good shampoo. If you like natural products you might dig some roots to dry and use.

6. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

My mother had a rather large one in her yard that she tried everything to get rid of, including drilling down into the center of the root, pouring gas on and lighting it. The root went too deep for her to completely get it out, and she said she wasn't even sure dynamite would help. Anyway, it's still there, just as healthy and vigorous as ever.

I have heard that if you repeatedly cut the foliage back to the ground on a perennial, the root will eventually die, but I've never tried to kill a yucca, so I don't know if that would work. I actually like them. :)

~Lannie

7. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;High Nitrogen fertilizer is lethal to cactus and succulents.If you want to get rid of either,use the fertilizer every couple of weeks and they will be dead in no time-roots and all.-

8. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I also saw on the yucca link (thanks, it was interesting) that one can weave the leaves. And eating too much of it will have you moving so to speak. I won't do much to it until next spring. I am kind of interested in the shampoo from the roots. Thanks for the info re: the fertilizer - I have strawberries growing close by one of the plants and asparagus in the vicinity of the other one. I'd probably need to be really careful if I take this route.

9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I live about 225 miles north of the IL/WI border-----------and I'm hoping my recently aquired Yucca will SURVIVE! :)

What do you think? Its in a pot---so can I just set it in the garage?
    Our basement is quite warm (66-68), would that be too warm?

10. RedEarth

RedEarth Well-Known Member

From my experience with Yucca, it's likely to do fine in either spot. We have really cold winters here, and my yuccas are unharmed. I used to live in the hot desert south of Utah, and they do fine there as well. Tough plants.

I love the yucca bloom, only wish that would last a longer time in the year.

11. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There are at least 3 homes on my short street with yucca plants. One of them has had it seemingly forever. I've never seen anything done for winter protection and we've had some ugly low temperatures during that time.

If I had one to plant right now, and could dig the hole, I'd plant it now just before the cold sets in. Then a good watering to soak the root ball and seal up the backfill. Second choice would be the garage where it would remain dormant. Bad choice would be the basement where it would be starved for proper light and suffer when set out later.

Martin