Your vaccination routines...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Cat, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing what other people vaccinate for and schedules for vaccinations and worming, etc.

I know some use CD&T, some Covexin 8. I use Covexin 8 as a general rule. Does anyone use any other vaccination?

What wormer do you use? What do you find to be the easiest/least wrangling required wormer? (Meaning, what do you use so you don't have to fight with them!) I used to use Valbazan however didn't realize at the time that it wasn't safe for pregnant ewes. Opinions on Ivomec drench? Safeguard crumbles?

I have a fascination with seeing how others run their farms/operations as it's a great way to get ideas and tips on how things can be done more efficiently. I could visit farms all day long and never get bored! I appreciate your replies! :)

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

For vaccinating just follow the box directions, I must have the worst memory known to man but when it comes to meds I make a point of not remembering. Nothing weird about that I'd rather look up every PenG injection and get the dose right than remember wrong! Suffice it to say ewes get vaccinated once a year before lambing and lambs get the double dose to activate the responce. For worming we use Ivomec (drench lately but I really prefer injectable) and Safeguard crumbles, dosed to kill tapes. (Double dosed not that I'm remembering or anything) Nice thing about the crumbles is, it is very safe to over dose. I wish I could get Tramisol again except it is a nasty injection. We use Safeguard drench too, as both forms work extremely well here and are very affordable.

3. Ross

Sorry I should have mentioned we use Tasvax 8 but have used Glanvac 6. CD/T is for goats and really isn't enough protection for sheep.

4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Ross, as always very informative!!

I have been told that Tramisol was replaced with Levamisole which I just happen to have to use on my poultry and waterfowl, it is a soluble, though. I prefer not to give injections if I can avoid it. I wonder if it could be used on sheep? Since I don't have but a handful of sheep I could remove their water source for a day without much problems. I will have to read the label and see if it's labeled for sheep.

I haven't seen either of the vaccines you mention I wonder if they're even available in the US. It has been a few years since I worked with meds though so it may be a new product that I am not privy to any longer since I don't work in the business. Another product that we have available is Vision 7 and Vision 8 with various additives (You're not the only one with a horrible memory! lol) but I have never used either as the Covexin was recommended. I wonder if anyone has used either of these?

5. Ross

Pretty sure Glanvac 3 for goats and 6 for sheep is available in the USA. Glanvac covers Caseous Lymphdenitis (CL) so it looked like a good idea. I never had an animal display CL symptoms so I don't bother with it anymore. Tasvax, Covexin, are pretty much the same thing. Tramisol (tradename) always was Lavamisol wasn't it? I can't get either. If you ever got some of it on an open cut you knew it! I'd think an oral form would work if you could work out the dosage or get your vet to script it for you. You used to be able to get Tramisol oblets and crumbles.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

OK, I misspoke in my last post. Tramisol was levamisole hydrochloride, the new wormer is Levasole, not Levamisole. It too is levamisole hydrochloride. It could be nothing more than a name change, I'm not certain. I thought it might have been an alteration of sorts but just can't say.

I did find Glanvac 3, so either it is a new product that has been released since I worked with animal meds or I just never ran into it. They also have a Glanvac 6 S B12 which provides sheep with protection against Cheesy Gland (CLA) and the five main clostridial diseases with the added ability to correct selenium and cobalt deficiencies.

Something at the website threw me, though. I have never heard the term "marking". It is said to vaccinate lambs at time of marking. Now, I am assuming this would be when it is docked, castrated, etc. Is this correct?

7. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Catherine,

I'm not a lot of use to you re vaccinations and drenching as many of the products you and Ross have mentioned I have never heard of although we possibly get the same thing (or similar) but under a different trade name. The most iimportant vaccination (at least for us) is what we call 5-in-1 and what you are calling Glanvac6SB12 and administer it as Ross has advised.

Your right about "marking", also called docking or tailing. This should be done about 2-3 weeks after the last ewe has lambed and is when testicles and tails are removed, and ear marking or tagging is carried out. It is also a sensible time to vaccinate the lambs with Glanvac.

As to drench, it could be an idea to talk to neighbours or the vet and get one that covers parasites and worms that are prevelent in your area. As an example, we have something called Liver Fluke that can be a killer but it isn't found all over the country so I have to buy drenches that cover that parasite. We also swap our drench "families" from clear to white drenches seasonally to prevent drench resistance. I prefer oral drenches to injectable but that's a personal choice because I find it easier to grab the sheep under the chin and slide the gun into it's mouth than trying to keep it still while I inject through often nearly 4 inches of wool :D

Cheers,
    Ronnie

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Ronnie!

After a bit of searching I did find out that "marking" was to be done at about 6 weeks! I no longer tag my sheep, have pondered tattooing them, I don't like to see tags ripped out! I always make sure to get a secure tag and even then I've had them ripped out which means half the ear is damaged ~ so no more of that for me. I myself dock using an elastrator at 3-5 days, even the sheep farmer here docks at 2 weeks or under. I can't imagine waiting until 6 weeks ~ they give me enough fight at 2 weeks when I help him. I also prefer, and this is just my opinion, to get it done when they're younger because I think they can bounce back right away and there isn't as much tissue to deal with. I do make sure that the lambs are thriving when I band, so I'm not inducing pain to an already hurtin' young one.

As far as talking to the vet they're not familiar with sheep or goats in this area, I live in cattle country so they deal primarily in cattle, hogs, and horses along with companion animals. The only sheep farm locally is where I got my Valbazan, I think he has switched now but I don't remember to what. I will have to ask. Thanks!