Your thoughts on the coming Winter??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Junkman, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Anybody out there have any predictions they care to share regarding what kind of weather they think this Winter will bring? I have heard everything from the color of Woolie Worms to how high the bees are building their nests. We watch the local weathermen for our "funny" of the night. Guess we will know in April what Winter brought. Personally, we are getting in a good supply of firewood here in WV. :shrug:

2. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Junkman, I am in S.W. Missouri. I made my prediction for this winter earlier today. I believe that we will have an early autum with a touch of Indian Summer that will surpise a few folks. Then I think the winter will be early, long and hard. I think that there will be a lot of snow for our area but not a lot of ice. I cannot tell you why I feel this, but I do. My late husband John who was 1/4 Quapaw indian was right just about every year, and he could predict rain. It was funny, the people at his work would come to him and ask if they should bring stuff in from the outside. The could have called time and temp just as easy! LOL, perhaps part of him rubbed off on me!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

3. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I predict a very average winter.

This is corroborated, at least for my area, by the Farmer's Almanac.

We do, however, have a lot of work to do because I intend to have a decent shelter built to keep the winter's supply of firewood dry before the weather gets bad. We just put in a fireplace insert, and since we've got an abundance of wood, I want to cut WAY down on our usage of expensive heating oil.

4. magnolia2017

magnolia2017 Well-Known Member

Well, except for the ice storm a few years ago, we've had some pretty mild WV winters lately. Last year our first snow started on the evening of Oct. 24 and by the next morning several branches littered the roads due to the weight of the snow and the fact the trees hadn't lost all their leaves yet. After that, it was pretty mild.

I guess we're due for a good one, but will it be this year?

Keeping extra firewood to be safe.

Maggie

5. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't want to commit myself right now about this winters weather. Ask me in March. :p

6. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

I HAve noticed that one of our mares has already started to get her winter hair so has our LGD. the night temps are already in the 40s seeing this and talking to the oldtimers around here.
    This rain season has been so wet it is very likely to be a hard winter with up to 14ft of accumlitve snow over the winter ( there guess ) stock up now they say there will be days you wont be able to get out.Seems they expect yet another winter that the National Guard might have to help feed livestock

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm certainly happy that we live in the Great Lakes region. That's because we will be having a very mild winter here. One indicater being, the woolie worms haven't even started to move south yet. Another being the shucks on the ears of field corn are hanging loose on the ears. That means an open winter or mild winter. If the shucks are tight on the ears, its a sign of a hard winter. We also will have a long Indian summer here. The indicator being we're having Apatchy fog very often lately. The Jenny wren still had naked babies in the gourd a week ago. Another indicator being my wifes woodpile ain't over knee high. Mother nature knows better than mess with Aunt Will. So do I.

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

This summer I have found 5 Yellow-jacket nests in the ground, right out on the hillside.
    It must mean something, but maybe not.
    Maybe it's just because I didn't get around to mowing those several areas,
    as often, because it was a dry Summer. Driest, in the last 4 Summers.

I hate to run over those little meanie with the mower.
    But I don't know if it means a Colder or Snowier Winter, ot Not.
    It was mild here in SW Central Indiana, the last couple years.
    We are due for a Worse one, I guess.
    Take care.

9. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Our evergreen tree is loaded with cones. They look like a bunches of bananas hanging from the branches. I have never seen so many on the tree in all of the last 26 years. Yeah, I know the tree is getting older and maybe producing for the future.

I have no idea what our areas winter may bring forth. A good stock of wood is what I am looking to get. Everything else is already taken care of. The wife works 3.5 miles from the house. Our 4 X 4 can take her to work if needed. Her "boss" my brother, shuts the office down during very bad weather. The work crews, who are essential support personel work as needed.

We are over due for a deep freeze and a lot of snow as far as I am concerned. If that happens we'll just stay in the nest and watch the snow swirl.

10. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Im guessing a bad winter here.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, it is only sept 9th and it has been cool and nice for several days. So I'm predicting a mild and warm winter. :)

12. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I predict another unseasonably warm winter, followed by fast spring, hot buggy summer.. YUCK!! When can I move to snow country?

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I think it will be colder than we have had the last couple of years. Just my guess...

14. bill177

bill177 Member

The last couple of years have been rerally easy on us. So, just by the law of averages - we are due a real winter. It has been about ten years since we saw -30. And last year we only got below zero once or twice. Just the way things are in the cycles of nature - I don't buy into the global warming thing.

The foliage is turning much earlier this year - been seeing signs of it for a couple of weeks now. The hummingbirds left last week - a couple of weeks early. The resident bear is out all the time now, looking for food.

If you want to watch the foliage progress in the northeast, take a look here. They do a pretty good job with their maps.

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/

15. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I don't know about predicting, but I hope we at least get some good hard freezes. This past summer was just horrible for ticks because of the mild winter last year. But I hope we get a barn built and get a generator bought before the next big ice storm.

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Predicting weather is not one of those things that works very well past the next 15 minutes or so. :)

However, I predict that the sun WILL come up each morning and set each evening. :baby04: The wind will blow from a variety of directions. Rain will fall. Snow is a possibility, usually more in the northern reaches. Certain areas will experience drought, and some will flood. As long as you keep a smile on your face, none of this matters. :dance:

17. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Were in the 30-40 range here, preping for a cold one here

18. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

dont care as long as I dont have to mow

19. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

This is a strange year. Our pecan trees are dropping all the green pecan pods. There are very few pecans this year. As we look around, there are many trees with dead leaves, just dropping off.Much too soon for this. But with the firestorm we had, maybe the smoke damage was worse than we thought. I have seen very few Monarch Butterflies this year, usually they are everywhere. Unrelenting heat this summer cooked the garden as well. Next year has to be better. And no one had any fruit, no peaches, no pears, very few wild plums.