Your thoughts on dead nanny?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ergoman, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ergoman

ergoman Well-Known Member

Had a nanny that had twin 3 month old does, two weeks ago she looked super thin and it came on fast. She had loose stools for a few days, no fever, ate well and drank up until the last day. Wormed her with ivomec, week later gave LA200 and red cell, no change in eyelid color, (pale white). got weaker and weaker, died yesterday. She was up to date on cdt and on a cocci medicated pellet and hay. She was on the same worming schedule as the other 40 goats, none of which look like she did or look wormy. Kids look healthy. Never had bloody stools or fever. I thought maybe tape worms or lung worms, any ideas? I've got the kids seperate for now, not sure if I should put them back in or not till this is figured out. Need to seperate the other kids this weekend to get the nannys bred. She also got probios 2-3 times this week. Just getting ready to giver her a B complex when she died

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

could it have been jonnnes? (sp)
    :shrug: :shrug:
    for tape and lung worms I think Valbazen is the drug of choice though.

3. ergoman

ergoman Well-Known Member

yesturday, think I'll start alternating wormers.

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Might never know for sure. A few years back my best doe kidded with twins..she was fine for about 2 weeks..wormed her after birth..up to date on shots etc. Loose stools but still acting and eating well. Sample to vet..he said worm her with Ivomec also..and then a second week too. Questioned him on the second week..perhaps a different medication..he said it was coccidi (sp?).. should had done what I wanted too. Give her a break and just watch her..she also died. Perhaps it had nothing to do with the worming but I felt it was just too, too much at one time. I have learned that sometimes we know as much about our goats as the vets..not all of the time. But we do not have a good "goat" vet any longer in our area. Sad to say..so know I usually just depend on myself. After also most 30 years with goats I trust my own judgement. I'm sorry your doe died...sometimes it's just a learning experience for us and the goats.

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

It's spelled Johne's. I don't think it sounds like Johne's though.

If she only received the iron a week after the worming and only once, she quite likely died of anemia. The iron needs to be administered quite often to combat the anemia she was displaying. The twins were taking what little reserves the wormload wasn't getting, so she was probably pulled down and stressed.
    We've dealt with numerous cases of bottle jaw for the first time on this farm this year (we've had goats for a decade now) and it only affected one doe in "our" herd (does we've had longer than a year, most homebred). She was a yearling doe raising a set of twins and from a family prone to heavier worm loads (also some of the best milk producers in the group). It was a group of does we brought in this Spring that we have had the most trouble with. We've lost a mature doe and a wether, but managed to save three other does (two of them have gone through the bottle jaw/anemia issues twice now because I didn't get all the worms correctly the first time) and another kid or two. A fecal sample would probably have helped clear it up, but it sounds like she died from the anemia.
    I'm still figuring out the whole anemia fight. We've had to switch to a very strong wormer to combat the worm issues in this group. When I did treat with Ivermect (what I had just started using this year and what I used on the two does successfully the first ime), I also dosed them with Panecur 1cc/5 lbs. (the 1cc/5 lbs. was the vet instructions for heavier worm loads in goats). The Panecur got the tapes and the Ivermect the other worms.
    We are doing some serious worm fighting with our ehrd of 80+ goats currently. We are hitting them with Cydectin in close intervals.
    Live and learn. :)

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of goat was she? A friend has several different breeds of goats, and has a problem similar to what I'm reading here with her Boers. I had a 2year old half Boer doe who had two sets of triplets in 2 years. She lost alot of weight and had bottle jaw. Though I wormed her regularly with both Ivomec and Valbazen, she died. I'm starting to wonder if Boers are less resistant to worms and if wormers are less effective on them. Neither my friend nor I have seen this with the dairy goats where we couldn't get on top of the worm problem.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Just hate it when folks blame things on a breed of goat. It's usually the heaviest producer, the oldest, and the youngest that die from our managment. Moving to Cydectin is not moving to a stronger or more powerful wormer, it's simply a new drug that if folks missuse will also not work on their herd in a year. Using Ivermectin is fine if you fecal and know it is still working for you and the kind of worms you have. For me, yes it gets the number of eggs out of the fecal sample, but it was not killing adult worms, because 21 days later the number of eggs was right back where it was before, meaning no adults are killed or arrested. Cydectin, once you get your worm burdens under control, and a very good way to do it isto use up all the Ivermectin and Valbazen on your place by using it together as a cocktail for3 wormings 10 days apart.....anyway cydectin is the wormer of choice right now, it has a very good kill of adult worms, well not kill but an evacuation of them...using pasture rotation 12 hours after worming or worm pens to get the does out of the pens for 12 hours after worming so they are not pooping worm infested fecal material into their barns and pastures, otherwise your worm burdens are right back to what they were when they drag poop on their hooves into their feed and hay feeders.

You like me may also need to worm with Cydectin the day they kid and then use a white wormer on your does 10 days after...this pretty much is all the worming I do until prebreeding, unless a fecal rises. Vicki

Use all wormers orally, dose with at least accurate weight or overdose, never underdose, quit switching wormers (these are ruminants not single stomached animals ((horses)). And know what you are treating, if your vet does not identify what kind of worm eggs, or the number, than send your fecal off, in most cases it's cheaper than worming your whole herd. Use Pan Amercian Vet Labs, Dr. Glass is wonderful! Vicki