Your thoughts on a book

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Apr 28, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

What do you think of the book Raising a Milk Goat the Modern Way. What do you think of this book? I'm thinkin of buyin it

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

That's one of the classics almost everybody who raises goats keeps around. It isn't perfect, no one book is, but it has lots of useful information in it. Definitely a good starting point. There really aren't all that many useful books about goats -- they aren't a big dollar livestock like horses or cattle. You'll get some contradictory advice from some of the few goat books that do exist -- come here and ask questions if you aren't sure about something. You'll get some contradictory advice here, too, LOL! But there are a few who usually know what they are talking about. Vicki is one, but there are a few others. You'll see who they are after a while.

Kathleen

3. allenslabs

So basically I don't really need to get a book just ask around places like here?

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

is that the book by J.D. Belinger of Countryside magazine ?? I just went looking for mine and sure hope I didn't lend it out and now it's lost. If it is...it will be the only book you will need to raise your goats. We literally had this book in hand while learning how to milk our first goats !!

5. allenslabs

Well fortunately I do know how to milk! HAHA!! I've had my goats about a month and know GENERAL care (meaning .... yes I do still have some ?'s from time to time) but I didn't know if it had info on how to care for illnesses, vaccines, feed management or how to increase milk supply or anything like that.

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

You should probably get the book, as well as getting information from the goat forums. You might have a question that needs an immediate answer, and have to wait for hours for a reply here, as most of us have lives off the internet, LOL! (Actually, I'm going off line tomorrow -- gas prices have gotten too high, and I have to start cutting some things.) Also, studying the books about goats might save you from having to ask some questions here -- and might allow you to answer other people's questions!

Kathleen

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

allenslabs,

You could check with your local library and see if they carry it. Or they might be able to obtain it from another library for you. There are several books about goats and that is one that touches on most subjects.

Or sometimes 4H clubs have a library of books that they will lend out to 4H members.

8. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Allenslabs,

In my goat book library is Goat Health Handbook (Thedford), The New Goat Handbbook (Jaudas), Raising Milk Goats Successfully (Luttmann), and Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats (Jerry Belanger). The best ones for me are Storey's Guide and The Goat Health Handbook. However, I have not found one book that provides all the information that I seek. It's frustrating because sometimes an answer is needed immediately, and it can't be found in any of these books. And I'm not buying any more goat books (well, at least not now). It could be that these authors are limited to the basics by legalities of diagnosing/prescribing without a veterinary license.

Nappy