your pig plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Bruce King, Jan 24, 2018.

1. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

I'll just send my suggestions to you for your approval.

2. krackin

Check out the heritage pigs in Red Springs/Landale, they may be worth a consideration. Some of the Herefords in Lockport look pretty good further down. Hard to tell from pictures sometimes.

3. krackin

Part of my farm is 2 miles down the road. I haven't had livestock down there yet. It is a small 19+ ac. piece under field construction and very late season sweet corn production. I have surface water, well and primary power line. It looks like I'll have to start using some pig powered renovation soon. I haven't up to now because of real demand to logistics imbalance. Sumbeech. More fence.

bobp likes this.
  4. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how it goes

5. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

5 being raised for 4H/Fair,2 for the freezer and 1 to sell to a friend

arnie likes this.
  6. Joeallen

Joeallen Member

It's my first year. I just finished frost seeding K32,Clover,Kale,Turnips. Now I'am working on buying my red wagon outer fence to secure the outer perimeter. Next is temporary electric fence posts for my padlock's. Were only doing 1 acre is 6 padlock'. Next is getting 2 sows by end of March. And a boar by April. Starting off small

7. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

pretty soon i'll be looking for my yearly pig to raise till fall for the freezer and canning I like making bacon but have quit hams preferring lean sausage and canned lean(low salt) pork

8. Bruce King

Bruce King Well-Known Member

How do you get your pigs for 4h?

9. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends if I am looking for a chance at my kids winning at weight classes or if i am going to focus solely on them just learning to show and then selling them. There is a big price difference in the pig but when it comes to market, you pretty much get the same price. For an extra $100-$150 though it can make a difference. BUT also when they place higher they go through sale sooner and then sometimes that means higher price at sale as well.

Anyways, We have done pigs for 3 years now. SOme of our pigs have been just regular feeder pigs that have been as close to good as we could get them- straight backs, nice potential for filling out in their hams. I have spend as much as $275 for a very beautiful Duroc and $250 for a gorgeous Hampshire X from show stock. Both did very well in their classes. To me, it was worth it. Yet it seems my kids have the best bodies on their Buttbutts... but they never end up getting top place because the Hamps tend to shine over the white pigs. It is still a learning process!

This year I am going to try to get all 4H pigs for under $150 each.. except for my 17 yr old daughter I will go higher because she is buying it herself. She is going to a breeder for hers.

10. SteffenNate

SteffenNate Well-Known Member

Got 8 feeders coming this afternoon. We'll keep one and sell the remaining ones as halves or wholes.

I guess the plan is to break even.

11. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

I wanted to do 2 feeders but the Mrs said no.... I'm really bummed

12. krackin

Try again, they are probably easier than any other critter. Pigs are easier, not Mrs. 's. Try appealing to her sense of bacon.

13. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

My 2018 pig plans include killing the last one in a few days. I might do feeders again, one day, but not for a while, and I don't think I will breed any, ever again. Who knows, I might not ever raise another one here, if the bear population holds steady. I can do about anything with bear that can be done with pork anyway.

14. msweeten

msweeten Well-Known Member

I bought 2 experienced sows and boar in February. They are all Berkshires. I have only done feeders in the past, so it's been quite the adventure. Sows should be due in 4-6 weeks. The sows are sharing 2 old calving pens with the boar next door in his own. He is getting bored! We plan to separate the sows into their own pens for farrowing. My goal is to keep 10 feeders to feed out (hopefully on pasture) and sell the rest locally. Trying to research what I need to get ready. Probably iron shots, and castration supplies. Hoping to keep it simple. Wondering how others deal with their boars when he isn't needed, mine is younger and obviously needs a job. If all goes well I hope to buy a tamworth (I think) gilt or 2 this summer to add to the herd.

Also trying to plan infrastructure for overwintering/barn area for pigs & chickens that my husband will no longer be using for hay storage. Wish it would quit snowing!

15. Briano

Briano Active Member

I did 4 last year 2 the year before and will be doing 7 this year. was capped at 6 but two guys i work with at my new job decided they wanted one after seeing pictures of the bacon from last years pigs fresh on the griddle and right after it came off and could not believe the difference in appearance from the store bought stuff