your pig plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Bruce King, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Bruce King

Bruce King Well-Known Member

Are you adding, subtracting, or staying the same? What are you going to do more of, and less of? Anything happen in the last year that changed your mind, opinion or practices?

gerold likes this.
  2. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Well we've prebooked all we have raised and could sell.more, so we are looking to add one more sow.
    Thinking a Tamworth or Tam/Berk gilt. Likley a Tamworth though and keep our Berk boar.
    I'd like to be Blessed to rotationally keep the sows on good graze... Working on a solution. I am adamantly against moonscape pasture farming, I believe that it can be done better.

I'm also looking at leasing pasture from my neighbor.
    It's not in current grazing use. Gets the hay cut off but that's it. There's a creek bottom I can get that will allow 50-75 bi weekly rotations without regrading in the same year....It's a Bermuda, bluegrass, fescue Orchard grass mix.... If I sow rape, turnips, ECT ahead of them I ought to be able to get some good from it. And it's out of site from the road.

HillsOfSWVA likes this.

3. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

Will be adding 10 Gilts for breeding this spring.

HillsOfSWVA likes this.
  4. BobbyB

BobbyB Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm bringing in 5 more gilts and will be keeping my Tamworths, but will be crossing some Duroc x Berkshire and Berkshire x Tamworth. Plan is to save some of those gilts and cross with a Chester White then save some of those gilts and come back with Tamworth or Duroc, depending. It's long term, but I figure we'll eat well getting there.

gerold and HillsOfSWVA like this.
  5. Bruce King

There's a new USDA slaughter trailer operating in my area and a meat cooperative forming. I'm going to encourage the cooperative to start offering USDA fresh sausage so that I can make a market for my cull sows; i've got about 50 that need to
    go and I just hate the auction price for them. Feel much better as bratwurst with more dollars coming back to me.

HillsOfSWVA and gerold like this.
  6. GeneV

GeneV Well-Known Member

No piggies for me this year, but maybe in the next. I raised 2 agh's last year, still have plenty in the freezer.

arnie, HillsOfSWVA and gerold like this.
  7. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

I'll be getting feeders as usual for my regular customers plus a few extras as usual.

I may have bred gilts, most likely do. I went out this morning to do a few errands. One was to get human preg tests. I'm standing in the store with a couple items and I can't remember what I needed. A young gal asks me if I needed help, and I said I forgot what I was after. I'm 60 (actually 38) and I can't imagine what she would have done had I remembered.

"Oh yeah, I need 5 pregnancy tests."

HillsOfSWVA likes this.
  8. Bruce King

do the human pregnancy tests work with sows, or is there something else that we need to know about? :)

HillsOfSWVA likes this.
  9. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

OK.....So do we stand up and salute the virility of your 60 yr old manhood, LOL,
    Or are you going to explain how HCG is similar in humans and swine? This would be interesting to see if it works?

I googled it awhile back and found info on how it wont work but didn't find anything where anyone actually tried it...
    It does raise the question of how are you going to get your sow to hold her first morning pee until your ready to hold the test stick in the stream....?

HillsOfSWVA likes this.
  10. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Do any of you have remote hog operations meaning off site, or a farm not at your home location?

I think I can lease a peice of ground down the road a mile, cheaply, likley for the trade of a butcher hog. It's past my farm, it's slow sloping bottom ground, with a bench above it. Long narrow probably 300yds wide but 1/2 mile long...Out of site of the road.
    Has a Pond but I'd likley not use it. I'd stay with my tanks and nipples...

My intent would be to use it for feeder pig rotational pasture. It would allow for rotationally grazing a section only once a year.
    Its mixed grass, bluestem, Orchard, fescue, natives, clover, perinial rye, Bermuda, crabgrass..I'd want to overseed with more clover, rape, turnips, ECT...
    I'm a bit uncomfortable with them being off site...

HillsOfSWVA likes this.
  11. HillsOfSWVA

HillsOfSWVA Well-Known Member

Hopefully 2018 is full of babies. I have a hereford gilt that will farrow soon and we will go from there. If all goes well, I'm going to let my old spot boar get her once more and turn him into sausage.. letting my 7 week old Hereford boar step into his place, where he will hopefully do well making babies with the old spot/Hereford crosses. Lots of wishing and hoping! I'm gonna give em everything I can and do whatever I can to keep em fed and happy! If it doesn't work out the way I want, at least there will be plenty of meat for awhile!!

12. krackin

Collecting urine is easy enough. I generally wear Muck Chore Boots, the high ones. They hold quite a bit.

13. Bruce King

For the first 7 years I remote-farmed - house in town, acreage with animals. The worst part is being paranoid about the fencing - the fence has to be tight, and it has to be in good shape, and you've got to check it frequently. If you're providing what the pig wants in its area they won't test the fence too much, or if they do, they won't go far.

Tight fencing is harder to justify if you don't own the land.

arnie likes this.
  14. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

It's web fenced in the perimeter...held cows a few years ago... Guy is older and sold out due to not being able to tend them.
    I would do rotational pastures with Electric fence like I'm doing now. Set up as a 1/8 acre +- lot, that I can drive all the way around. It's working really well so far... We move them once we see they've run out of graze they like and Start working it over.. They're noses are rung so they can't do too much damage...But.

The guy will be by in a week or two...I'll broach the idea... See what he says.

I actually can drive to it via log roads, but it's a mile to the gate....1/2 mile to the corner..

15. BHendry

BHendry New Member

I am new to raising pigs and am looking for a source for a piglet to get my 13 yr old grandson started. We live in East Texas just outside of Nacogdoches and have the pen set up and ready to go. Somebody selling piglets that is close by?

16. krackin

If you don't get a reply I suggest checking with your local farm supply. Here, chain supply stores only do poultry but local owned do livestock from others. Lacking that, processors can point you in a good direction. There is always classifieds but I think that is kind of dicey unless you spend time getting to know the source. You don't want to start out with low end cull stock.

17. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
  18. Bruce King

You can often find pigs in the farm-and-garden section of your local craigslist. Here's a link you can use to go
    directly there. Looks like there's some good piglets going for about $50 each.

https://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=pigs

19. krackin

Some of those don't look very good to me.

20. Bruce King

Why don't you go through the pigs and select a couple of them that DO look good to you, then, to help this guy out. Just post the link here.