Your perfect rice...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by seedspreader, Nov 16, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

After mushy rice tonight...

What's the secret to perfect rice?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Get it boiling, turn it off, leave the lid undisturbed until the time has passed. 30 minutes for regular white rice, 40 minutes for brown rice. Adequate Bourbon before eating... :p

Edited to say, this is for cast iron cookware, as if there was any other kind...

3. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

I fry it in a little (just a LITTLE!) oil or butter over high heat first. You will notice the rice starts turning white... fry for about 3 minutes and then add water, a little salt if you desire, and then bring to a boil, cover and turn down to low and leave undisturbed until done (about 25 minutes for 2 cups.) This results in fluffy (instead of sticky!) rice :)

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I use a ricecooker for perfect rice everytime. You can do according to the directions which mine says 1.5 water for every 1 cup of rice.
    I usually put the amount of rice up to 4 cups and cover it with water to an inch above the top level of rice, cover, and press the cook button. 20 minutes later, I got excellent rice.
    hint for making fried rice: cold rice/hot pan (or wok)
    use cooked rice that has been chilled in the fridge the next day. After frying whatever you want before adding the rice (green onions, pork, chicken, shrimp pieced, etc.) add the cold rice to the hot pan and stir before adding the soy sauce at the end. perfect fried rice every time.

5. FoxfireWoman

FoxfireWoman Questing for Simplicity

A rice cooker purchased on ebay. Rice was always a challenge for me - either too mushy or too hard.

6. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Acuratly measure 1 part water for 2 parts rice into a heavy bottomed pot. Add a little salt. Bring to a full boil and put on the lid and reduce heat as low as it will go if you use gas (not sure about electric). DO NOT LIFT THE LID.
    20 minutes for white and 50 for brown. If it is wet add a little less water, or cook a little longer next time.
    Jut don't give up. Keep trying and be accurate in your measuring, so you get it right next time. :)
    Moopups, pass the bourbon :hobbyhors

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

rinse the rice in cold water until the water is clear

and I love my rice cooker

ummm...we use 7 cups of rice

8. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I usually only cook short short grain brown rice.

2 parts water to 1 part rice.
    Bring to a boil
    turn gas stove burner as low as it will go without going out
    put lid on pot
    cook about 40-45 minutes
    Quit peeking under the lid

9. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

1 cup basmati rice
    2 cups of water

Bring water to a boil. Add rice. Turn to low. Wait 20 minutes. Always turns out great.

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I also gave in and got a rice cooker. pour in rice & water, push the button and it makes perfect rice I dont have to work at.

my previous way was in a microwave, in a covered bowl.... 12 min on high, then let it sit till cool. it worked but boiled over and made a mess. I'll have to try moopups way..
    how long do you let it boil? or you just get tot a boil and shut it off?

oh and salt in the water is the difference beteeen wallpaper paste flavored or rice flavored rice. so salt the water.

11. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

2 parts water to 1 part rice, cover and bring to a boil over HIGH heat. As soon as it starts bubbling and looks like it's heading for overflow, turn off the heat IMMEDIATELY (easier on a gas stove than electric... move off the burner if it's on an electric). AT NO POINT SHOULD YOU DISTURB THE LID. Leave it alone for at least an hour.

I quite often cook my rice earlier in the day, then serve it either fried with a little olive oil and onion, or nuked if it needs to be hot and plain for a dish like curry. Leftover plain rice freezes well.

12. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

7 cups? Holy cow... you folks REALLY like rice!!!

13. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Hillbilly Housewife Perfect White Rice

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/perfectwhiterice.htm

Perfect White Rice

2 cups hot water
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup dry white rice

You need a pot with a good lid for this recipe. Put the water into the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the salt. When the water is at a full rolling boil, add the rice. Stir it up and return the water to a boil. Now reduce the heat to the lowest possible. Put the lid onto the pot and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not peak! The rice will cook, you have to trust it. When the time is up, remove the lid and serve. Easy as pie, Perfect Rice. This makes enough for 4 servings, or about 3 cups.

This recipe is easily doubled. In this case use 4 cups hot water, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 cups of dry rice. Prepare just as directed. This makes enough for about 8 people, or it will serve 4 or 6 with plenty of leftovers.

14. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Boil 2 cups water, toss in 1 cup rice, turn it down to just above simmer (setting number 2 on almost every stove I've used) and let it cook for at least twenty minutes.

Best rive ever though? Through in a couple teaspoons of butter, while it melts, chop an onion and some garlic and mushrooms are really good too. Saute them till onions are nice and soft, then add one cup of rice to pan, stirring till it turns chalky. Then add three cups beef or chicken broth/stock/bullion and a dash of thyme. Turn heat down to low and let it cook 20 or 30 minutes.

15. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

16. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

rice cooker here...BUT was watching rachel ray the other day and she roasted her rice in EVOO before she added the water to it, said it prevents sticky rice...

~C~

17. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Absolutely get a rice cooker.
    Obviously, Japanese brands have been the best for us {Zojirushi}. Then buy Thai Jasmine rice {Three Horse Brand} and follow the great hints given by previous posters.

-Da Fonz

18. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Boil salted water, add a little butter, pour in rice, bring to a boil and boil for 20 mins. I go 18 as I like rice firmer than most. Also, if you shop at sams or anywhere that sells parboiled rice, it's great done in the oven.

19. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. Basmati is the best!

20. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

2 parts water to boiling, 1 part rice stirred in, pot covered, and heat turned to lowest setting, stirred again once or twice in first 1-2 minutes after adding rice but then not again until you're serving it, cooked for 20 minutes white rice 30 min or as directed brown rice. Using a heat diffuser (metal perforated thing) on burner helps especially for gas stove, and can turn off heat for last few minutes if it's pretty hot. If still wet leave top off for steam to escape.

We like it sticky though as we eat a lot of our rice with chopsticks.