Your opinion please....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

I am thinking about starting a buisness, below is a flyer that describes my product.

My question is...do you think there is a market for this? I live aprx. 1 hour from St. Louis, MO. My market would be...private homes, hotels, motels and bed & breakfasts.

Is $3.50 - $4.00 a sq.ft. reasonable price
    ( 10 x 10 bed room ceiling + $400.00,)

But I am going to give a $100.00 discount if the customer would give me 10 names and addresses of friends, family ect. who might like their ceilings done.

Also, I would do a 2nd room of similar size for 1/2 price if customer desired.

Anyway, Just looking for any imput, suggestions ect.

Thanks

Flyer......

Sleep Under The Stars - Every Night!
    DISCOVER HOW YOU CAN ENJOY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, STARRY NIGHTTIME SKY... FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN BED!
    Experience Your Own Personal Planetarium - Every Night!

Just turn off the light and it appears as if your entire ceiling has been removed... and above you is the most incredibly beautiful, crystal clear, starry night sky imaginable... the same night sky that you could only see if you were high up on a mountain top or on the shore of a remote tropical island.

Any room in your home becomes the perfect place to unwind after a hectic day. Your worries of the day will seem to melt away as you find yourself carried off into a relaxing, stress-free, dreamland of bliss... every night... in your own home. With the flip of a light switch you will be blanketed by the quiet, serene comfort only heavens can give. Where once you were imprisoned by four walls... now twinkling stars above you are soothing your intellect and dissolving away your cares. Stress free in the blink of an eye! Your stress-ologist would probably give you a prescription for it.

For thousands of years people have looked to nature for relaxation, inspiration, and creativity. Do you remember when you were young... lying under all those beautiful stars and contemplating the vastness of the universe? It was exciting as well a soothing, wasn't it?

RELAXING * ROMANTIC * STRESS RELIEVING * EDUCATIONAL
    You will be captivated by countless gently glowing stars, famous constellations, shooting stars and even the majestic Milky Way (if so desired). It is so breathtakingly REALISTIC it's almost overwhelming! It actually seems as though you could reach up right into the night sky! And... your stars will glisten up to all night long! Every Night!

Please don't get confused. It is nothing like the phony looking, greenish glow-in-the-dark products that kids tape to their ceilings.
    The stars in your Night Sky Ceiling Mural will appear just as they do in nature's majestic night sky... icy white! When finished, it does not look like a painting or mural on a wall. It's not like any painting you can imagine. In fact, in the daytime it is almost invisible!! You don't see anything different about your ceiling. And it will never interfere with your room decor! the painting material blends in with or matches 98% of all ceilings. No drop cloths, no furniture moving... no room prep. No mess! You wouldn't even know that it had been painted! And most ceilings are completed in between 1 to 2 hours

Call today for a FREE 15 minute, fun, and amazing in-home demonstration.
    You really have to see it to believe it

Experience the night sky the way the Creator intended you to.
    YOU WILL BE AMAZED!!!

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

do you copy the real night sky?

are the constellations and planets there?

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would think a very professional photograph would be needed for me to read that much, that would catch my attention before anything else.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mrs. would love it,she has the green stickons in the overhead bed in the motorhome and LOVES em!,but would she buy it,I dont know.Think it would appeal to some wealthier folks.

Picture would be a real good idea.

Good luck,nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BooBoo

5. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

When finished, the illusion looks very,very similiar to you looking at the stars when you are away from the city lights.

If you have been on a cruise way out in the ocean, or up in the high mountains or desert, far away from the city lights.

The constelations are visible ( big & little dipper, ect) and the constelations are in their correct places.

I am now working on prefecting the Milky Way and shooting stars.

The illusion looks like I have installed a glass cieling in your room. It looks like a 3-D effect of space.

Your mind even starts to play tricks on you, it appears that the minor stars twinkle.

I can even put the stars on your cieling that were present on your wedding day, birthdays ect. ...almost any date requested.

Anyway, what do you think of the buisness Possibilities? Do you think folks would be interested in something like this?

6. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

well, i doubt it would interest rural people since they see the real thing all the time anyway, but city folks whose view is always obscured by ambiant light might go for it.

also there might be a market for basements, city and rural alike.

and if it is as good as you describe, that sounds pretty nice, i'm sure you'd get some business, but no clue if it would be enough to quit your dayjob.

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Your best bet to market your service would be to have a professional brochure (with photos of rooms done) made. If you have the talent to do this off your own computer A+. Do it on heavy card stock, not just computer paper, looks better and gives you a professional appearence.
    There are online printing companies that can do it for you, even a Kinkos can. Also having business cards done at the same time would be ideal.

Once that's done, grab a St.Louis phone directory and look up every Interior Designer in the book. As a matter of fact get the lisiting of "EVERY" Interior designer in a 100 mile radius. Get that sunday going to church suit cleaned and pressed, take your brochures and business cards and start visiting those designers. They're the ones who'll push your idea on clients and get you repeat business when others see thier clients rooms done by you.

You can run ads in the paper as well, no one said this was going to be cheap, right? Takes money to make money.

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I've seen a professional web site about this and they were selling franchises to do it. Can't you get brochures from them? Or check them out?

Sounds like you'd get a crick in your neck doing it, but if you can make a go of it - more power to you.

And I did not read the whole thing cause it's way long for an ad - in my opinion only.

Angie

9. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

Honestly....Too wordy for the firt 3/4 of the ad. neet idea and no doubt you would need a heavy population as its a niche market. Sounds cool though. As a former property manager I cant tell you how many of those cheesy stick on stars ive scraped off. BUT THIS SOUNDS REALLY COOL. I really cant see it being more than a occasional job unless youve got a large population nearby.

10. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I was looking on internet to see if I could find what I thought I'd seen earlier...

found this site that might be useful to you for supplies..

http://www.glowinc.com/

Looks like fun.

Angie

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I would be interested, & if it's as realistic as you say I'm sure others would be too. If you can actually deliver on the promise of your ad, I could see a great interest by those who could afford it. However, this forum might not really be the best place to try to promote the idea. I think that it could certainly have merit as a buisness idea if you could start slow & rely mostly on word-of-mouth advertising or a self-produced Web site. Good luck! I could actually see this becoming a fad, as the glitter cielings were in the 60s.

12. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Just my 2-cents worth, but I think the ad was way too wordy and mushy/cheesy. Needs to be more professionally written, more white space, and definately some pictures!

I'd love to see it somewhere, but wouldn't want it in my house. I don't like imitations... I want the real thing.

Neat idea, though, and I hope it works out well for you. You must be quite an accomplished artist. Could you also offer painted murals (which are ALL OVER THE PLACE in doctor's offices, etc.) or ceiling stencil/borders (not stenciled...hand painted. You know what I mean)?

13. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I think your idea is great! And I think it would appeal to lots of townies and suburbanites, as well. The $400 price tag is very reasonable, too. But giving a whopping 25% discount for a list of names is not. You would just be giving away your own hard-earned money. Perhaps a $25 rebate when a customer's referral actually hires you. Also, I wouldn't give a discount for multiple rooms, unless, of course, someone is having nearly his whole house done. Then maybe 10% or even 5%.

Hang on to your earnings, and you should do really well!

14. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Nice idea! But too expensive to expect a huge market. People who are able to afford to pay this amount are not likely to fall for a fad such as this. Its only visible when the light is off..and most people are likely to want to sleep when the lights are off. The reason the sticky glow-in-the-dark stars sell is because they are very cheap..mostly teenagers and low-income folk.

If you have this type of talent..you'd probably do better utilizing it on developing a high-demand product..such as painting scenes on canvas..or perhaps intricate design etched into mirrors, windows, and/or furniture.

15. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

My daughter's bedroom ceiling was done by the previous owners. It can't be seen during the day or when the lights are on. At night in the dark, it is very realistic with the constellations in perfect order and the stars all the right size. I've slept in there and had a hard time remembering I was indoors. Our house guests love sleeping in that room!