Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it a tradition at your house? my mom insisted we eat one spoonful of sauerkraut, so we did...under protest. now...I make a lean pork roast with TONS of kraut (LOVE it now!!). unlike mom, I do wash my kraut..drain...then mix with a dash of brown sugar to cut the 'sour' a tad. along with that..lots of smoked sausage or kielbasy (sp?) and beef hot dogs. mashed taters...a MUST. sometimes cabbage, onions, butter, & noodles...haluski (haluska..a family tradition, doesn't mean I know how to spell it) lol corn, biscuits.

we do all that even when it's just the two of us. can't mess with tradition!

then on Jan. 2nd, I go back to no carbs. LOL

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
hop in jons. Black eyed peas with rice, collards with smoked pork, cornbread with butter.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We do the southern thing--hoppin' john (black eyed peas and rice), collards and cornbread. One of my favorite meals, actually. Not sure where to get collards this year. My collard-growing, farmer uncle died this past spring. He is missed.

Blue

ETA: My mother always said we have the black-eyed peas for coins and the collards for "folding money". I think she just said that to get me to eat my greens.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Somewhere between 25-40 of us will be getting together at my Uncle's house for New Years Day. I'll be taking Corned beef with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes; black eyed peas cooked up with tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers; Irish soda bread. Other family members will be bringing beef BBQ, chips, different types of salads, tons of desserts.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't hit the girl from the north, but what is a collard? I DID, however, live in TX for a spell..and I found I don't like black eyed peas or grits. (again...don't hit me..lol)

my brother lived in Killeen, TX, for years..........and we still had food from the 'noth'. :)

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somewhere between 25-40 of us will be getting together at my Uncle's house for New Years Day. I'll be taking Corned beef with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes; black eyed peas cooked up with tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers; Irish soda bread. Other family members will be bringing beef BBQ, chips, different types of salads, tons of desserts.
ohhhh...corned beef, cabbage, carrots, & potatoes...ROCK. *mouth watering here* yum!

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
don't hit the girl from the north, but what is a collard? I DID, however, live in TX for a spell..and I found I don't like black eyed peas or grits. (again...don't hit me..lol)

my brother lived in Killeen, TX, for years..........and we still had food from the 'noth'. :)
Collards are a leafy green vegetable, a little like spinach. We won't hit; our southern hospitality code forbids it.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
then I would LOVE it, cause I can't get enought fresh spinach! do you cook collards as you would fresh spinach then?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
then I would LOVE it, cause I can't get enought fresh spinach! do you cook collards as you would fresh spinach then?
I remove the leaves from the veins/stem, wash and then put them in a large stock pot with water and a little corn oil, just enough water to keep them from sticking. After that, I just add salt and pepper to taste. I'm not sure how long I usually cook them, maybe half an hour.

Blue

·
Registered
576 Posts
black eye peas and hog jowl here....i get the smoked jowl and love it fried crisp

Dont think should be eatin alot of it this year, tryin to eat a heart healthy diet now and fried foods just aint on it!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Blackeyed peas, ham and boiled cabbage here. We always have our family "Christmas" on New Year's Day and this year some of my inlaws will be attending (they want to see my grandson). So I'm planning on having the traditional fare plus some other foods...not sure what yet, depends on what I have lots of in the freezer! Since my son is a vegetarian it will probably be some more veggies...I'm thinking scalloped potatoes, English Peas, a fresh veggie tray, etc.

Mac and Cheese sounds good too!

·
Registered
415 Posts
We do the southern thing--hoppin' john (black eyed peas and rice), collards and cornbread. One of my favorite meals, actually. Not sure where to get collards this year. My collard-growing, farmer uncle died this past spring. He is missed.

Blue

ETA: My mother always said we have the black-eyed peas for coins and the collards for "folding money". I think she just said that to get me to eat my greens.
No, that's really the superstition...the blackeye peas for coins and collards for bills.

I eat blackeye peas because I like them, and my husband will eat one or two spoonfuls of them because he's superstitious. I like to make the peas, and all beans really, in my round slowcooker. A nice warm bowl of beans is very comforting on a cold, wet, raw day.

·
72 Posts
friend salt pork
black eyed peas
saurkraut
fried taters
corn bread

mom always says that it is health, wealth and happiness. i dont know which is which, so i eat a lot of all of it. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Salt pork, (boiled to get most of the salt out, then dipped in flour and fried)
Cabbage, (usually boiled, this year will make cole slaw with carrots)
Carrots, (see above)
Corn bread,
Blackeye peas,
Rice, (I don't like my peas ruined with rice so I make them seperate)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts