Your most *spectacular* yard art creation - ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by QBVII, Jun 24, 2005.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I am proud of myself - I made my first scavenged "yard art."
    Out behind the garage, in the weeds, was an old plastic pedal car.
    Got my hubby to pull it out (it was bured in the dirt half-way up the front tires), and found out the back wheels were off.
    Got hubby to pack it to the front yard.
    I got some paint and painted our name on the side and planted flowers in the "seat."

It actually looks pretty good! :haha:

The other day we were driving down the road and someone had made a planter out of a white toddler bed.

What is your most amazing yard art creation...........?

:cool:

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I don't know that this qualifies for yard art, but the place here had an old time hay rake, so I painted it bright red. It's shown off on the hill exposed where the lawn is cut. There are a couple of more old time implements rusting around here I might paint up and put near the garden or something.
    What can you do with one of those old iron wheels? It's about 3' in diameter, very heavy.

4. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have two very large rocks that DH put in my front yard for me. One is a big flat one and I had him put one behind it that comes into a point. It makes a bench for the GK's to set on. On the opposite side of the rock used for a back I have planted flowers.

I have some pics of it, but they are not handy right now.

5. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

mount it on top a post and hang plants around the outside edge

6. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

When DS was a teen we came home one day to a very weird sight. He had gotten ahold of a misprinted gravestone from the funeral home near the in-laws place and put it to "good use" or so he thought! In my flower garden next to the driveway he'd created this scene----gravestone at the top then beneath it he put a cap sticking up out of the ground, a stuffed pair of work gloves on either side as if clawing their way up out of the dirt, an old flannel shirt showing and a pair of jeans where they would have been partially covered with dirt. Last he had an old pair of work boots toes up coming up out of the dirt. Strange and a whole lot weird. He had the dirt piled up just like a body was buried there! After a few days we made him take it away. A neighbor now has the gravestone and uses it upside down as a stone step to his house. It really was a misprint stone that was given to him by that funeral home. We checked. Warped but then that is a teen's sense of humor.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

You should have mounted that gravestone (if it were marble) on legs and use it for rolling out dough and noodles.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I would have made a pic but our name's on both sides, LOL.

Lots of people use those old wheels in the yard, usually by the driveway. Put flowers around them some way.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...I painted "Welcome" on an old piece of weathered board and hung it from the barbed wire sticking out of a tree next to our driveway. Does that count?

Am getting an old wringer washing machine from my dad's place. Mama asked if I were going to plant flowers in it, but I'm not. I plan to put it on the back porch or in the barn to fill with ice and drinks when we have guests.

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    My sisters first house had a classic yard ornament. You see them all over New England though I cant say Ive seen many elsewhere or one quite this grand. I would love to make one for our place, but Jon absolutely forbids it. Basically it was a sort of xmas tree planter made of various sizes of car wheels and tires. The tires were left on their rims but cut and bent to form sort of big petaled flowers in such a way that they could still hold potting soil. The bottom tire was tractor sized and the wheel was threaded onto a flag pole. About 2 feet up the pole was a truck tire welded to the pole. As you went up the pole the tire flowers got smaller and smaller and the last one on top was just a little wagon tire. Each of those tires was painted red, white or blue and planted with all kinds of bright flowers and trailing vines. There was an electric star on top and strings of xmas lights staked down to the ground. In the day time you had the flowers and at night it was all lit up. It was a real honey. Sure wish I had a picture to show you but you can get the idea from the description.

11. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I don't know if this qualifies as yard art, but,
    we inherited a lot of old tires and the dump charges
    $3 a tire to take them so...

[​IMG]

filled them from the trash piles the previous owner graciously
    left, added rock from the creek and...

[​IMG]

12. Countrystyle

Countrystyle Well-Known Member

I made a dreamcatcher out of one of those old steel wheels and haystring .I used a 6" abalone shell to hang in the center.

The people that used to own our place left behind 2 of those old wheels welded together with a very big cast iron pot hanging from the center. It's full of dirt and sedum.

Old Jack , I like what you did with the tires. What did you use to attach the rock?

Countrystyle :)

13. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

That is fantastic! :D

14. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Wrap the tires in old chicken wire, sling cement (mortar) at it, press the stones in!

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I'm going to remember that! That is too cool.

16. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

If you have any kind of photo editing software, you can blur that part or otherwise modify it.

17. naughty gnome

naughty gnome Member

My wife thinks it's funny that I'm the yard art on most workdays.
    [​IMG]