Your Internet Service

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Nov 17, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How do ya'all have internet service, such as dial up, cable, satellite, hi speed, etc? What do you pay?

In my case, I've got a regional phone based company that is my ISP. Dial up is the only current option as I'm basically too far from the nearest town providing anything better. Cable 'is coming', so they say... probably next year. Till then :waa:
    I'm paying about $30/mo. unlimited time for the dial up. At least it is fairly reliable. I averaged being down about maybe 10 times last year, the longest was 2 days without service.

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I now have Netscape for $10.95 a month. Had NetZero, and started having a ton of problems with their service, so I switched.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Dial-up with local provider for $20 a month

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Comcast cable $45 a month - it was cheaper than an extra phone line plus dial up and the speed is needed for my work.

5. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Dial-up, unlimited connection time, with local provider for $10 a month. Never down for more than an hour or so and then rarely, except on Sundays maybe three or four times a year.

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

Dial up unlimited AOL $14.95 a month. Can't get cable and satellite is too expensive.

Stacy in NY

7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Dial up with usadatanet, $9.95/month, avg. connection speed 28800 bps. Cheap and fast as we need. Been using it for about a year, no real problems.

8. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Here in Ontario, Bell offers dialup anywhere from $10 /mo to $23 /mo Cdn... depending on how much time you need.

I've had high-speed access since it became available maybe 5 years ago... I switch between cable and DSL providers every once in awhile to take advantage of the special pricing (eg. 5 months of unlimited cable internet access for $20 /mo)... and I don't think I've ever paid more than $44 /mo Cdn. Competition here is pretty fierce, and if you call a provider and ask to cancel their service, they'll sometimes go way above and beyond to keep you as a customer (i.e. 3 months free). Whenever I call, I have every intention of cancelling and switching providers, but if they want to beat their competitors pricing... that just means more money in my pocket.

cheers,

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Last few months I've been signed on with Lazynet http://www.lzy.net/ paying $6.75 per month for 300 hours. (I chose it because it offers the 300 hours on my local worldcom/uunet pop number, most isps only offer 150 hours on worldcom numbers) I've been quite pleased with it. Just be aware that because somebody has good luck with a particular isp in one geographical region doesnt mean it will work well in your region. These isps dont have their own private pop numbers nationwide, but lease wholesale from places like quest and worldcom. A particular quest number one place may be great but only so-so another. Same for any of the other wholesalers although I have always had good luck with worldcom(uunet) and level3 numbers. Here is a site that sorts out isps offering service for less than $10 per month. www.freedomlist.com

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! Unfortunately the only way I can get internet access from my rural mountain top is through Direcway Sat connection for 59.00 per month plus a fortune for the equipment. They are down for various reasons, mostly weather, about twice per month for an hour or so. Wish there was a cheaper way, as i attend college online, but so far there is not. we will never have land lines of any kind here.

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

sat @ $59.99 per month unlimited/always on/we have two computers networked and using the system at the same time.

Not the fastest and only goes down during heavy rains, but the TV stops then also.

Very expensive set-up $600.00 with professional install as required by the US Gov't.

I wouldn't recommend

12. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

got a month free when I bought my eMac with EarthLink, but getting ready to switch back to MSN. EarthLink if $21.95 mo and MSN is $12.95 mo for dial-up, which is only option I have. I'm on the list for DSL but hasn't been extended out my way yet, although the telephone guy told me that my name had been painted in green on the pole that will bring service this way, whatever the hell that means.

13. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Starband satellite connection at $89.99 per month.

Hubby does freelance web design and computer consulting. We just cannot get a dial-up connection fast enough for what he needs to do on-line. DSL and cable will never come out this far - not enough people to make it worthwhile.

14. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

We use access4less.net and pay 4.95 a month unlimited. It might be 5.95 if you sign up now. It works as well as the other dial up services we paid much more for.

15. Lone Elk

Lone Elk Member

Walmart Connect, dialup, unlimited, $9.95 a month. Never down and no spam or virus. Works great for my use.

16. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I pay 50 bucks a month for my broadband, and think it is worth every penny. I never wait on anything!

17. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

Time Warner Road Runner cable modem $45 per month

18. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

bellsouth DSL and I pay 32 per month for unlimited service, no downtime except during the hurricanes which was electric related, not bellsouth related.

Sidepasser

I love DSL - would never go back to dialup!!!

19. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Charter Cable...currently 29.99/month for 3mb/sec ...it goes up to 40 after the first of the year (and the speed will be reduced)...

Its awesome...i've only had it for 3 months. I don't own a phone (have a cellphone).

I live in a small town, but its near a bigger city, so i'm fortunate.

I'll add this. If all you do is read news/forums/browse...cable is an overkill. I very rarely download huge files (over 100mb). It is nice, but its like owning a Corvette. Most of the time your going the speed limit. That being said, It is nice that you don't ever have to "log on".

20. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

I am in central Ohio....using AOL dial-up and I pay $23.90 a month! AOL goes down a bit too much and too often I think. But this is VERY interesting to see these prices that everyone pays!! I may check into getting something different! The trouble I have had in the past with trying to get something cheaper was the access numbers did not have my area codes...they were all long distance ones..... :waa: