Your Frost Date and Growing Season Length this year?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Sep 23, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

First Frost of the fall season, Sept. 24 . N. Western Ontario (Zone 3/4)
    That would make the garden growing season this year about 113 days.

Those of you who know your zone and would like to share and mention when your frost day this year was and how long the growing days since the last spring frost?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Don't remember when the last spring frost was. Had to be before Memorial Day. It hasn't frosted at my house yet and usually does the first week of Sept. and have our first snowfall about the 15th. Weird year. Really going to screw up hunting season. Not cold enough to get the Elk moving.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

A frost took most of the garden in August, and anything it missed was wiped out last night. Some folks around are telling of temps down to 25.

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Our last Spring frost was in March, but I'm not sure of the date. Given that we've warmed up considerably in September, it may be November before we see one...if then. We're in zone 7, but being at 1,250 feet above sea level, we tend to be cooler than some parts of this zone. It's surprising what just a little elevation will do for a climate.

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Our last spring frost for 2005 was mid May -- it is usually about a month earlier. We haven't had our first frost day -- infact we're having higher then average temperatures for this time of year - but it's usually mid October.

Marlene

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

First light frost was Sept. 20. Last night it got down to 29*. So much for the tomatoes! Our last frost in the spring was early April - I can't remember the exact date.

I'm in zone 7.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Interesting indeed...lets see our last frost was right near the middle of june this past summer and our first frost came the first week of august , giving us about < 60 or so days !

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Our first frost, zone 9, is usually sometime in late November, and the last one sometime in late Feb. or early March. But I could probably grow things like parsnips, brussel sprouts and protected kale year round if I weren't too lazy. Actually the time that it is hardest to garden, both for me AND the plants, is July and August, but I usually have tomatoes, peppers and squash during those months anyway if something doesn't eat them.

hollym

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Whats A frost? I live at the southern most point of the Continental United States and there is No frost with A 300 plus day growing season.

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well we get frost tonite!!! wheres the mods when you need them? swearing words like frost ,snow and winter? almost as bad as ice ,snow and storm!! we had frost mid may so not near ready to give up the garden!! tarped it tonite , suposed to be good temps into october!! not burrh!!!!!!!!!!! :grump:

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We're pretty much like hollym and james dilley. 300 or so days a year. I'm almost 45 and the earliest frost I've ever seen was Halloween. It usually hits late November. Last frost usually comes late February or early March, and the latest I ever remember was April 9. We usually plant potatoes on Valentine's day and dig'em around late May or early June. There's something we can grow just about year-round.

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

sitting here typing watching the snow fall, guess we will most likely get a frost tonight too!

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I don't remember for sure on last Spring frost, it was after the first of June (June 5th is listed as our last frost date). Our first frost date this fall was Sept. 1, although I had covered things starting about the 15th on Aug. just in case.

Cheryl

14. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Zones tell us the average coldest temperature in winter but has nothing to do with frost days and length of growing season.

This year has been out of the normal range. The last frost was in late April instead of the normal late May/early June. The first frost should have come two or three weeks ago but hasn't yet. I usually have from late May/early June until early September without frost.

15. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well we dodged the bullet!! :dance: shoulda known the weather man could /would not get it right :shrug: even the low landers did not get ffrost so things should stay green awhile longer :happy: !

16. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

We are zone 5. Our last average frost is May 10th/first average frost Oct. 10th. This year, the last frost was in late April and haven't had one yet this fall.

Winona

17. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

One of our milk customers came by this morning and she said they had 22 yesterday morning, just 5 miles from here.

18. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Here in S. Oregon it varies. It's supposed to be April 15 -last to maybe end of Oct for the first, This year we didn't have many frosts in spring, but we had a cool rainy spring til July! The tomatoes are nearly non existant. Same for peppers and summer squashes. (I also live at 1000' elevation) Sometimes winter rains don't start til November, but this year we've already had showers come thru since September. It was a pretty good year for cooler season crops though!

19. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Zone 5. Average frost last spring one is said to be May l5 th the light frost end of Sept and killing one for sure by mid-Oct. It had quit frosting earlier this year but cold nights and still in 30's last part of May. Tomatoes got in a week late due to wating on weather and they are setting out there GREEN. 78 day tomatoes been in over l20 day and are not doing it. Early one late. Summer squash did good. Peppers, hot one okay, bells slow and late too. 4,500 and some feet here. About as low as you can get in Colo. I do a market garden and now starting back in 30's and 40's night. Last few mornings been like 51. LOt of us are having this lateness in ripening this year. Summer too hot like 106. Market is close to over with. Goes through end of Oct. My elk license is is for 22nd of Oct. Will only hunt the two weekends. You need some green tomatoes????

20. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

Praise the Lord Sept 26 and we have an average of 80 degree during the day
    and we are in Pennsylvania!!! I don't care about global warming, send me more of this!!! I love It!!! I was in my garden yesterday picking up tomatoes!!!!
    Thanks Lord!!!!! :happy: