Your first bike

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jnap31, May 3, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I was about 7 and I had rode a small bike with training wheels a bit then some friends of the family gave me an old banana bike with a huge banana seat from the early 70's or late 60's when I was visiting their kids, I still remember my first ride on it with out training wheels they talked me into it, it was way bigger than it should have been but I learned to ride it wow was I proud LOL

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I love riding.. I'm beginning to consider purchasing a couple for us.. With gas prices soaring it won't be long before we need alternative transport

3. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My first bike was a hand me down red Schwinn. I thought I was the coolest thing in the world.
    One Christmas, when I was 8 or 9, I got a blue Huffy, with a bannana seat. Talk about stylish!!!
    I got a used bright yellow Huffy 10 speed when I was 12 or 13.
    More bikes have come and gone since then, and today I have a Trek 7000 mountain bike. I wish I had more time to ride.
    Clove

4. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I thought riding a bike was the most fun thing in the world. I remember falling in a sticker bush trying to teach myself to ride but I still remember how happy I was.

5. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My first bike was one a family in our church gave to my sister and me. I think it had been red, but was faded to pink. There was something wrong with it and the chain wouldn't stay on. My sister and I learned to ride in stages. We would start from home, one riding, one running with, and go until the chain fell off, this was about a block and a half. We would push it the rest of the way to my uncle's house (1/2 a block), where he would be waiting and put the chain back on. We would switch riders and head home. About 1.5 blocks later that chain would come off again, we would push it the rest of the way home, where my dad would put it on, tighten it up as much as he could and send us back around. Some evenings we would make that loop for 2-3 hours.

Now I wonder why they didn't just get a couple of new parts and FIX it. It was fun and it is a great memory.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

As my 6th birthday approached, I had my eye on a turquoise Spyder with a flowery banana seat and flowered basket. The bike dept. was right next to the catalog pickup desk at Sears (we lived in Toughskins) so I saw it frequently. I was pretty vague about the exact day of my birthday, but knew it was coming up and one morning my Dad took me to Sears to see this bike I'd been chattering about. It was gone! Sold to someone else. I was crushed. When we got home, I walked in the door and all my friends jumped out screaming "Surprise". It was the best party ever and halfway thru it my Dad came up from the basement wheeling my dream bike. I don't think any birthday could compete with that one. :)

7. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

My first nice bike was a teal giant my dad got me for christmas. We just fixed it up and handed it down to my second cousin. It's was great to see how excited she was- you have to grow the sport!

my husband and i still ride alot, recreational and otherwise. I can't figure out why more people don't still ride.

Between that and a sail boat, i can't think of a better way to wind in your hair!

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Hopefully, someday. I'll be able to tell people that my last bike was a Harley Davidison Heritage Classic.

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL...a lot of the guys here in Kosovo are buying harleys they get them pretty cheap tax free thru affes I guess

10. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

my first bike I bought for .10 cents from a neighbor. I had saved all winter and he knew it. My second bike was a purple "Western Flyer" chopper from Western Auto. Then came the assorted "3-speed" bikes followed by 10-speeds and finally at 14 a moped. Yipee.

Today I would consider a Scooter (An older English made one) Other than that I'll stick to a Truck. :)

Kenneth

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

My wife and I use to ride but now it is to hilly where we live.

12. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

i bought my first bike was I was in 3rd grade with my life savings. All six dollars of it. It was a 26 inch, fat tired schwin. I was about 8 inches short of being able to sit on the seat and touch the petals.

I bed my father to teach me how to ride it, and he took off with it to show me how. We lived in a trailer park at the time. My father went about 10 feet in the gravel drive, and fell over. Hands and knees are scrapped up. Just about the time he hit the ground, a five year old kid ran up and said, "Wait MR. I'll get my big brother and he'll show you how to ride it"

My father limped back to our trailer, chained the bike up and it sat there for two years till I got tall enough to ride it.

13. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I don't remember what brand it was, but my first bike was an olive green bike with banana seat and handlebars.........
    My bike that I have now is a 57 HD panhead........ :) And it will be my last bike too.............. :)

14. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Still got the frame intend to get it to running again. It was a JC Higgins from either Sears or Wards. It as bigger than me, and my brother got one too. We would have to take off from the walkway and hop on it a la poney express, First time I rode it, I wobbeled my way to the light pole around 60ft away and ran into it hurting the front wheel I think. Another time me and my brother was rideing fast, and he got too close and put his pedel into my front wheel and ripped out the spokes. I went down quick and hard

15. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I had a little red tricycle when I was little...it was a hand me down,and I loved it to bits. Then when I was about 8 yrs old,I got a shiny pink bike. It had a basket and streamers. It was one sweet ride :cool:

16. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

talk about their first bike must have soul.

Mine was a second-hand bike that my father and I spray painted glossy black. No fenders--no nothing except frame, sprockets, chain, handlebars and pedals. My favorite bike ever. Boy could I slide on that thing.

17. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

My first bike was an ordinary blue girls' bike, not second hand or anything. I remember I really coveted my friends' banana seats and those cool handlebars, but mine was just...well, a bike. Poor me. :)

A few years later, my parents had the good fortune to WIN a pair of three-speeds in the community's 4th of July Festival raffle. My mom never got the hang of hand brakes, so while my dad got the guys' bike, I got the girls'.

Boy was I thrilled. NOT. :rolleyes: Not only was I deprived of the cool banana seat kids' bike, I had to ride a three-speed when all my friends had ten-speeds! You know, ten-speeds just look cooler, they have different handlebars. I was cursed. Poor me. :)

So when I was about 14, I walked up to the local Twin Fair and spent my life savings (about $15) on the basic, clearance floor model ten-speed. That thing never did work quite right, but I didn't care, it was COOL. Cooler than the three-speed anyway. My parents never did understand.

Now...guess which bike is in my garage, and still gets ridden, while the other is long gone to some trash heap? You guessed it, the three-speed! My DH rides its mate!

We are planning to get new bikes, though, now that our kids are old enough to go for long rides with us. Those old ones are sturdy, but they're just too heavy for car-mounted bike carriers.

But who needs ten speeds? All I need is stop, slow, and wait for me! :rolleyes:

18. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

my first bike was unwrapped on the morning of my 5th birthday.

i left it in the back of my fenced yard

i went to school

the blacks had stolen it by the time i got home from school.

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Wow you all have good memories! I am glad you like me now legacy, I honestly thought you were someone else posting under an assumed name a few weeks ago. My second bike was a red bmx? I use to put so many miles on that thing (Thoasands I know cause my mom got me an odometer) had it for years forgot to say my first bike was a green/blue color it was really quite the sight I have never seen another like it probably a real antique. I dont know how much soul I have I think the army wiped a lot of it out of me, must have been a lonely evening I started more threads in one evening then I had toatle since I came to HT LOL

20. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

My First bike was a BMX!!!!

then I outgrew it, took over my Dad's bike, a Cruiser Western Flyer-red with chrome fenders, I wore it out(bumpy gravel roads)

Now I got me a "special edition" Western flyer(90th anniversary) mountain bike, I miss the chrome fenders. :Bawling: