Your Favorite PORK RECIPES?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

:1pig: Please Share them HERE! :1pig:

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I really like this for ribs. The method has to be refined for the tender home-grown type, though; I ruined some expensive pastured ribs cooking them that way! Also the strong flavor of the sauce overwhelmed them. I guess I'l have plenty of time to dicker with it! :rolleyes:

2 jars junior baby peaches or equivalent amount of peach or apricot preserves (I like apricot preserves the best), 1/2 jar soy sauce, 1/4-1/2 jar vinegar (pref rice vinegar), 2t sesame oil, 2T sugar or honey (honey works better), 2T sherry (drinking, NOT cooking sherry) crushed or minced FRESH garlic and ginger and hot pepper flakes or pepper sauce to taste. (all amounts are approx, I never measure anything)

Coat underside of a rack of ribs lightly, flip over and smear half the sauce over the top. Put ribs on a rack over a pan and pour ~1" boiling water into the pan. Bake at 175-200*F for 12-24 hours till meat falls apart. Halfway through spread the other half of the sauce on and add more boiling water to the pan if it's dry. Be careful not to get water on the meat. Serve with rice, the drippings really good on the rice. This was a great recipe when I was working; I'd start it the night before, put the 2nd coat on before I left in the morning, and come home to the most wonderful smell! You could BBQ over a low heat, too, I'm sure.

3. StCeciliafarm

StCeciliafarm Member

here is a quick tasty one...
    put a boneless pork shoulder in a crock pot with a can of frozen orange juice and a bit of water,salt and pepper to taste, slow cook until tender then shred...add some bbq sauce and finish cooking. serve on a bun witha side. . for some brave souls who like a little bite add chipolote peppers in the can. (cut then up). let me know how you like it.

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Ooo that sounds good! However, I would never describe canned chipotle peppers as having a "little" bite!! :eek:

I'd like to see folks' pulled pork recipes. I plan to have a post-butchering party and cook up a shoulder that way. Which reminds me...

Carnitas:

Completely immerse a pork shoulder in lard and cook over low heat, slow simmer, until it falls apart. remove meat from bones and shred or chop fine. This is a Mexican dish traditionally served wrapped in a corn tortilla with a bit of chopped onion and cilantro, with or w/o salsa, or plated with rice and refried beans. Oh man, do I ever miss Mexican food!!

5. Up North

Hey - Welcome, I see it's a first post! From Louisiana? Got any recipes for Andouille Sausage? That stuff is awesome!

6. Up North

This is one of my families all time favorites that we have pretty often. I got it out of "The Best of Country Cooking 2000" cookbook.

Hawaiian Pork Chops

1/3 cup ketchup
    2 Tbsp prepared mustard
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp cidar vinagar
    1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
    1/8 garlic salt
    1/8 onion salt
    Dash cayenne pepper
    4 boneless pork loin chops
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbsp vegatable oil
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup pineapple tidbits
    Hot cooked rice

In a saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients. Cover and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. In a skillet cook pork, onion, and garlic in oil until the meat is browned. Add water and reserved sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low for 20-25 minutes until the meat is no longer pink, adding more water if needed. Stir in pineapple and heat through. Serve over rice.

Heather

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

This sounds good!

I'm going to try that this weekend.

8. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Cajun Pork Roast
    3 Tbsps. paprika
    1/2 tsp. cayenne
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    2 tsps. oregano
    2 tsps. thyme
    1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    2 lbs. boneless pork sirloin roast

Preheat oven to temperature 325°F. Combine all seasonings and salt to taste in a bowl. Rub well over all surfaces of roast. Place roast in a shallow pan and roast 25 minutes per 1 lb, or until a meat thermometer reads 155°F-160°F. Remove from oven, and let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing.

9. StCeciliafarm

StCeciliafarm Member

Hi Upnorth sorry I just moved here lol we moved here right after katrina to help with rescues and just stood. I agree tehy are good.....I hope to get swindle a good recepi soon.

10. Up North

WOW - Ya got MOXY! Enjoy the Cajun Cooking and Aron Neville Nights :)

11. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

My favorite pork recipe is pretty simple, a B.L.T.! :D

But here's a good one for a shoulder or butt:

Sear the shoulder or butt on all sides in a hot skillet

In a slow cooker add :

1 cup Orange Juice
    3 T lime juice
    Handful of oregano
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 hot pepper of your choice, chopped
    2 T Chili powder
    1 T Cumin

Put the pork in there and cook it on low all day.

When you get home, caramelize some onions and throw some chopped tomatoes in with the onions when they are done.

Remove the pork roast and shred it, serve on tortillas with the onion/tomato mixture and whatever else you like ( cheese, beans, salsa, etc.)

12. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We tried your Hawaiian chop recipe.

That stuff is really good! The whole family loved it, and I'll bet it becomes a bit of a regular occurence around our place!

Thanks for posting it.

13. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

Bake pork steak in Saurkraut...Til it's falling apart tender. I personally don't like the saurkraut to eat, so I just brush it off and either someone else eats it or it goes to the chickens, but it gives the steak a WONDERFUL flavor.

14. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

This is a small variation on my mother's recipie that I think she got from her grandmother. We make up this sauce in batches and can it for quick meals - just add meat and it doesn't have to be ribs. The sauce from around the cooked meat is also great on greens and mashed potatoes. After finishing the meal we save the sauce that is left for another meal.

Country pork ribs
    Cooked at 350 for about 1 hour then covered with sauce.
    cooked 1 chopped onion & some green pepper in small amount of fat for 10 minutes;
    added 1 1/2 c tomatoe (crushed, sauced, etc), 3 tblsp molasses, 2 tblsp vinegar, 1 1/2 tblsp worchestshire, 2 tsp prepared mustard, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic, some red pepper to taste.
    Baked 1 hour more.

15. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

UpNorth,
    Good luck finding a good ndouille recipe. I know thats one thing I don't share. We had the festival here two weeks ago. I live in the small town known as the andouille capitol of the world.

16. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

hey, UpNorth, ButcherPacker has a pretty darn good andouille seasoning...at least for those of who don't really know any better...

favorite recipe....ya know, for the most part we like pork for the pork taste.......while we love BBQ ribs...we also like ribs slow-baked seasoned only with a bit of salt and pepper.....pork roasts are great just as a plain pork roast.....but I am going to try the Hawaiian pork chops this weekend!!

I do like to brine my pork chops for 20 minutes in about 2 cups of water + 1/3 cup salt + 1/2 cups brown sugar + peppercorns + a bit of dry mustard...brine for 20 -30 minutes depending on personal tastes...fry and steam as usual (watch for burning with the sugar in the brine)........let sit 3-5 min...eat.....