Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving many kinds of vegetable seeds over the years, but never carrots. This fall/winter I have been growing much larger quantities of carrots because I am now married and have a family.

I would like to save seed from carrots, right now is planted 'Red Cored Chantenay', an open pollenated variety.

I have read and researched how to save seeds from them, but I would like to know your own personal experiences with saving seed from carrots, especially if you live in USDA zone 8 to 9 with springs that warm up quickly and long, hot summers.

I have been harvesting them for about 3 weeks now, and expect them to continue to mature for quite a while yet.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I lucked out this year. I had a few carrots that I planted this year - go to seed. I harvested those seeds. I will have to wait until spring to see if they will grow. I have other carrots that I left in the ground that I will see if they will go to seed next year.

Sorry, that is my only experience. I would think it would be fairly easy in your climate to keep them over so they will seed the 2nd year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am right between zones 7 and 8 and i have only saved carrot seeds once. Some of them got left in the field, survived next springs plowing and came back to life. So i let em grow and collected the seeds when they matured with good results. So i figure it must not be too hard to save seed except the fact that it takes 2 seasons to do it.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Domesticated carrots are notorious for crossing with the wild variety, Queen Anne's Lace, after which they are worthless. With great care the strain's purity could be preserved. Carrot pollen seems to be abundant and widely carried, so pains must be taken to isolate the desired varieties from the wild.
I've yet to save any such temperamental seed as of yet, as I'm just now comfortably up to speed with about 30 very basic garden varieties that aren't so particular, i.e. corn, tomatoes, beans, peppers, etc.
My understanding is that a bag is placed over the plants from which seed is to be saved, during the pollination cycle.

I'd am interested in some of the other's experience with this level of seed saving savvy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts