Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun, let's discuss our dream property/homestead.
Mine kinda changes a little from time to time as I learn more and gain more experience. For now, off the top of my head, my ideal dream property would be either in central Indiana, possibly western Kentucky or maybe north eastern Arkansas.
I would have 10-15 acres of well established forest land. A stream running year round through the woods and across 15-20 acres of pasture.
I would have 3 acres dedicated to gardening, another 3 acres of orchard.
Approximately 2 acres surrounding a barn and chicken coop. Along side of that would be 5-10 acres in mixed grass, clover hay field, and another 15 acres or so to grow animal feed.
To top it all off, I would have a 2-3 acre spring fed pond.

That would be my dream property, to raise my family and keep a few dozen chickens, a flock of turkeys, a handful of pigs, few beef cattle, few dairy cattle and possibly a few sheep and or goats.

So, what would be your dream property?

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
I live on my dream property. Of course, I would like a few more quarters to the north of me so I could also have a piece of the beautiful valley and river which I miss out on by about 100 yards. A person can never, ever, EVER have too much land. There is no such thing! ha ha. Not from a greed perspective, just that it is nice owning a chunk of land, huh?

Yesterday at grandmas, my son's fortune cookie said, "You will soon have fun in a park." I retorted, "Sonny boy, we live in a park!" lol!

I can not imagine living somewhere else at this stage. When I get older, I would appreciate a bit shorter winter though...

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I am 6 miles from a small town of 200. On a gravel road, inside the forestry gate. 1 neighbor 1/2 mile away, only 2 of us inside the gate. Gate is locked all the time, every one has to have a key or combination. 1 acre, creek, meadow. All the land around is private forest land. I have OK to roam as I want from the timber companies. Old gravity fed spring, 2" waterline, good pressure. Property used to have a forestry building that burned down. They reared native fish in ponds here, I have use of these ponds, fish ladder and water wheel. All off grid, solar and microhydro power. There used to be a mill close, big log pond is still there with big trout. 600' from a small river. Excellent fishing, hunting and gleaning from the woods. I will stay right here. Just enough land for my goats, chickens, pigeons and rabbits, nice garden areas. Very good soil, no rocks but plenty of gravel in the creeks. 4 seasons of mild weather. We don't need air conditioning. Few bugs. Lots of big old slugs though. I was born and raised, wandered the country side as a kid. I know this land. What more could anyone want/need....James

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am 6 miles from a small town of 200. On a gravel road, inside the forestry gate. 1 neighbor 1/2 mile away, only 2 of us inside the gate. Gate is locked all the time, every one has to have a key or combination. 1 acre, creek, meadow. All the land around is private forest land. I have OK to roam as I want from the timber companies. Old gravity fed spring, 2" waterline, good pressure. Property used to have a forestry building that burned down. They reared native fish in ponds here, I have use of these ponds, fish ladder and water wheel. All off grid, solar and microhydro power. There used to be a mill close, big log pond is still there with big trout. 600' from a small river. Excellent fishing, hunting and gleaning from the woods. I will stay right here. Just enough land for my goats, chickens, pigeons and rabbits, nice garden areas. Very good soil, no rocks but plenty of gravel in the creeks. 4 seasons of mild weather. We don't need air conditioning. Few bugs. Lots of big old slugs though. I was born and raised, wandered the country side as a kid. I know this land. What more could anyone want/need....James
:thumb: Sounds a lot like my dream property ( I don't have). that I would like......But in Ontario Canada

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
I would share mine but I'm afraid someone will come up with the asking price before I do.

Over 32,000 acres hay, beef, timber, scrub brush, rolling meadows, timbered canyons, CRP land, federal grazing allotments, tons of infrastructure, LOP tags, still water, moving water, paved road access, forest road access, airstrips, the wildlife - oh, the wildlife!

The only thing I could hope for would be a mature orchard and a natural ice cave. But no place, no matter how close, is perfect eh?

I would want to put more acreage to animal feed and start working in some permaculture and a good sized garden.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Somewhere in Alaska at the head of a bay there is a mountain just to the north west and another one to the north east of a 20 acre lake. That lake is about 200 feet from the ocean and 20 feet above it. The strip between lake and ocean is caused by a rock Ridge at the ocean holding back good deep soils that nurture deep-rooted Spruce with some birch. At the bottom of that ridge is a long shallow sandy beach except for the rocky spine that the outflow creek flows against to keep a deep channel. Further west along the beach are a few coal seems.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Just for fun, let's discuss our dream property/homestead.
Mine kinda changes a little from time to time as I learn more and gain more experience. For now, off the top of my head, my ideal dream property would be either in central Indiana, possibly western Kentucky or maybe north eastern Arkansas.
I would have 10-15 acres of well established forest land. A stream running year round through the woods and across 15-20 acres of pasture.
I would have 3 acres dedicated to gardening, another 3 acres of orchard.
Approximately 2 acres surrounding a barn and chicken coop. Along side of that would be 5-10 acres in mixed grass, clover hay field, and another 15 acres or so to grow animal feed.
To top it all off, I would have a 2-3 acre spring fed pond.

That would be my dream property, to raise my family and keep a few dozen chickens, a flock of turkeys, a handful of pigs, few beef cattle, few dairy cattle and possibly a few sheep and or goats.

So, what would be your dream property?
It's not that far from yours.... though we prefer it would be in Sourthern Missour or Tennessee. Actually, whe have found that property several times.... just couldn't afford it. :(

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
The older I get, and after having just sold my home with 5 acres, I find that needs/wants/desires change.

Reactions: bigjon

·
Registered
509 Posts
1 cleared acre around the main house
20 acres of pasture
3 acres of a spring-fed pond
20 acres of forested land
1 acre set for firewood
5 acres set for the garden
5 acres set for hay
5 acres of just cleared land for whatever plans that will inevitably come up in the future.

...on mostly level ground, preferably in a zone 7 or 8 environment with good rainfall, decent property rights with few taxes, not too much road frontage, good zoning, and few neighbors. The best states may change because of these(and the state laws), but the number of acres of planning doesn't seem to.

In addition to the standard assortment of chickens, turkeys, pigs, cattle, sheep, and goats. I hope to stock the pond with fish and waterfowl, get a few barn cats, rabbits, plus 2 dogs to help me keep everything in order. Oh and bees, if I could manage to keep them alive. I could go into so much more detail later, even down to the (hopefully) realistic timeline...

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I'de like to own the orange grove across the street from us at the lake. Even just an acre or two to rip out the citrus and plant more jaboticaba, dovyalis, bananas, pineapple, low chill peaches and tropical nut trees.
Edited to add, assuming its been rezoned back to agriculture from residential medium density

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I agree with most of you, but I also would have a great view in my dream place, and I'd want all of my neighbors to be the best neighbors ever. I've got the view here, and I've got a nice place, but there are a few neighbors I'd rather not have. But I've got about 90% of the dream.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok Ill play along even tho it depresses me to think I may never attain my dream property.....

20 Acres in my home state of KY...little cabin in the middle...no one in sight. Maybe 5 acreas of it in pasture for my milk cow and maybe a couple of beefs. The rest woods for my goats. Perimeter fence around all the property.
Rasha

1 - 20 of 55 Posts