Your Choice for a Pretty Layer

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Tango, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll, I'm starting over with hens and realized when I went by habit to the Buff Orpington page online that the reasons I used to like them so much were not only they are quiet and good layers that go broody but also they were easy to pluck and their skin is white. So now that I will not be raising chickens for butchering, I am thinking I can get another breed too. I would like two small flocks of egg layers each with a roo. What breed would you choose that is colorful, fairly peaceful and a decent layer that can hatch her own eggs? These will be for egg production only. Thanks.

2. xbigp

xbigp Well-Known Member

wyandottes are pretty and peaceful, cochins are same and known for broodiness but im not sure their production will be as good as you like.

3. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

I like my Swedish Flowers, decent layers, hardy, good foragers and lots of pretty variety in color.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Americaunas are pretty birds, and you get some variety in their coloring, as well as colored eggs.

I also liked my Silver Laced Wyandotte girls ... :)

5. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

For pretty, maybe Red Leghorns or Partridge Rocks... Speckled Sussex or Hamburgs...

6. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Speckled Sussex are beautifully colored, calm and gentle, and have personalities that just won't quit.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank ya'll this will be a fun and maybe difficult choice :)

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Silver Lace Wyandottes, but also enjoy Cinnamon Queens: lots of eggs!

Good luck. Enjoy your search!

9. Jason72

Jason72 Well-Known Member

I like our barred rocks gentle birds with good personalities.

10. Woodpecker

Woodpecker In Remembrance

I love my New Hampshire Red. She is the most dependable hen I have!

11. K Epp

K Epp Well-Known Member

If I could only have one variety it would be my EE/Am. My Roosters are wonderful too. My hens meet my Leghorns and Australorps egg for egg.

12. dyrne

dyrne Well-Known Member

Behold.

[​IMG]
    .."at the Rehovot Agronomy Institute near Tel Aviv, Israel.The idea behind the development of this naked bird is that it will create a more ‘convenient’ and energy efficient chicken which can live in warm countries where feathered chickens don’t do well and cooling systems are too expensive to be commonly affordable. Not growing feathers saves energy"

Honestly though I'm unreasonably fond of my egyptian fayoumi's who lay smallish eggs about every other day and my jersey giants but for actual egg production and aesthetic appeal the barred rock is hard to beat in my book.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM
  13. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

Guess I'd go with something like Partridge or Buff Rocks. I like the Rocks for all around birds. I'm also partial to Cuckoo Marans. Wasn't expecting to like them as much as I do. Great all around bird, robust and very good layers.

'Course, individual hatcheries have their own strains going, so quality depends on what a certain hatchery has for breeding stock. I usually order from Welp in Iowa.

14. Itsroger

Itsroger Well-Known Member

I also vote for the speckled sussex, I didn't think I'd like them, but I got several roosters and a pullet in a fry pan special deal, I still have the pullet, hen now. She's gentle and a good layer.

15. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

As far as pretty and good layers id say I like my americaunas