Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My present occupation is something I'm good at. I do get satisfaction and enjoyment from it. But it is far from my most enjoyable job experience. The two that I enjoyed the most were humble in origin but big on the enjoyable factor. I love working with people but am my most productive working on my own. Working on wax facsimiles for artists before they were cast in metal (statues and such) was big on the happiness/satisfaction scale. A 'wash and fold' service for an old employer was built up into a profitable enterprise. Looking back, I think organization was/am something I was good at. How about you?

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
The two jobs I enjoyed the most:
Working on a ranch training mustangs
Driving semi

I do enjoy my job now though, when I first started in IT many years ago I loved it so much because I was helping people. Over the years the satisfaction went down because I was sort of stuck. Mentally and professionally I had grown past helping little old ladies figure out their browsers. I still liked doing that but the excitement and challenge was gone. It got old.

Now though I'm challenged and helping create and architect something new that this company has never done. Helping create and tweak the programs behind the scenes, analyzing business and human behavior and translating that into programs and systems that once again are a benefit to and help people.

It's nice.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The one I have now is most profitable, and I feel valued. Its a career, and I'm grateful to have it.
But my job that was most fun was working in produce at the local Wal-Mart. Something was just fun about rotating, culling, and putting out fresh produce. Plus it was simple, easy work. And I got to make pretty fruit baskets and new displays. Didn't pay much, but I enjoyed it.
Wow WhyNot, breaking mustangs! How awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edited to add: I absolutely believe different occupations in life are great as you go along. I am looking to reinvent myself...you are never too old!

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
I have been at my current job for 20 years, I love figuring out how to make stuff work. But my passion is farming, gardening, growing flowers, I hope to have a wedding venue someday. I love romance, and creating it for others, I am a hopeful romantic.

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
hahaha.....Love it!!! yes I will only cater to small country weddings, I can live out my fantasy romance wedding through them. This is my plan for my retirement. Besides i cant fling poo forever....or can I?......LOL!!!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I would have a hard time deciding. I was once a roughneck in the oil fields. Working in the derricks, slinging pipe, running pipe in and out of the hole was strenuous but undemanding work. You had to pay attention to business or get hurt, but there were plenty of times to enjoy the crew, coffee at the cafes, shoot the bull with other men, chase women in the evenings.

Then I became an investigator. I ran down information, talked to hundreds of people from all walks of life. Homeless bums to bank presidents, lawyers, accountants, CEO's. People would talk all around the subject before they got around to telling me what I came to hear. I had pistols pulled on me and had women make passes at me. (Are those the opposite ends of a spectrum?) The fun pretty much ended when they put me in an office and told me to have other men do what I'd been doing.

Then I retired--my own boss, a little place in the country---hard to beat. Now I'm off to another adventure--this may be as much fun as any of the others.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
...I had pistols pulled on me and had women make passes at me. (Are those the opposite ends of a spectrum?) ...
Oftentimes, NOT!

Mon

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking Ox.

Of all the jobs I've had, from warehouse and mfg. plants, through sales, bindery, and maintenance, the installation end of masonry was the most fulfilling. And, the most physically demanding. I've run a paver making press, mixed 10,000 gal batches of acid based masonry cleaning chemicals, and managed a small business that sold natural field stone and quarry stone to the building and landscape sector. But none of them gave me the sense of satisfaction that I got from working with a crew to build a foundation, then face the home with brick or stone. Driving away from the finished job, I always got a thrill. Because, in all probability what I just helped accomplish would out last my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Rural newspaper delivery. This was before gps and google maps. They would swap me around to different routes for me straighten out the accounts and figure out the most efficient way to run them. That played to a number of my strong points. Bet I could still roll a paper on my steering wheel, drive with the left elbow while sliding it into a plastic sleeve/rubber band and then toss out the window in one smooth motion and put it within a foot of where I aimed.

Enjoyed driving a big rig....hated the company I worked for. Actually that has been true of most of the jobs I've done where I wasn't my own boss ;)

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
When I was 18 and 19, I drove a fork lift in a apple processing house dumping 30bu wooden bins of apples. I finished out 5yrs ago driving a forklift dumping trash dumpsters with a forklift. I started out making $1.25hr. Ended up making $13.25 hr,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts