Your best drink of water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blufford, Jan 9, 2007.

1. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

The best drink of water I ever had came from a public water station which was just a pipe sticking out of the side of a rocky mountain. It was near Berlin, NH in the White Mountains and cars were lined up to fill their bottles and jugs. This was about 40 years ago and I still judge all water I drink today based on that cold moutain water. Tell be about your best slurp of water. Town water, well water, springs, fountains, rain water, doesn't matter.

2. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Mountain glacier stream water!!!!! There have been a few mountain springs too. Yes I know all about giardia...but there is NOTHING that compares!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i little spring a few hundred yards uphill from here. my spring is a close second.

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

On state highway 175 just east of Frankston, TX there is a spring that flows out of a hill. The highway dept. even put a pipe in it so people can fill their jugs. I've been going by there since 1970 and every time we pass there is someone filling their jugs. We use to stop, but there is always someone there, so just pass by now.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Hill 681, Republic of Viet Nam, 1968, rain water caught in a helmet in that we had been out of water for 2 days. It was caught via a water proof poncho and funneled into our helmets. There was nothing finer at that time.

State side its near the highway in W.V. in the upper right corner of the state, can't even remember the town name.

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Your kidding right?

7. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

On the farm where I grew up, there was a place, about 15 acres that we called the 'bottom' - because it was between hills and a creek ran through it. Carpet grass grew naturally there. There was a spring that came out of one of the sandy hills. We kept a little tin cut hanging on a tree limb and everytime we went to the 'bottom', we would catch a cup or two of that sweet water.

Our spring water on the farm where we raised our kids was a match - until chicken lagoons ruined it.

Moopups, I'll bet that rain water WAS 'Heavenly'.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Just as blufford describes --just outside of Stratton ME headed toward Rangeley on rt16

9. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Right here on my li'l farm, out of my own li'l well. The best I've EVER tasted. Every time I take a swig, I have to say "Oh, Lord! That's SO GOOD!"

NeHi

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

outa my tap!! artesian flow outof a bore in the bottem of a dug well keeps 20 ft of water in the dug well. they once tried too pump it down with a 1000 gpm pump and could not even move it an inch, gave up after three hours of pumping! lot of wells in this area are either sulpher or iron contaminated.

11. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Nope, I'm not kidding ;0) of course here's the disclaimer now---->lots of people poop on mountains so don't drink the water.

THere is a spring on the SE side of Mt Hood, near Bear SPrings, that has been piped. We used to fill up there before camping, and take a bunch home to brew beer. But now it's locked because it's contaminated with whatever(It's open range there). Never had any ill effects though.

BUt I have grown up drinking wild water(anybody else?), I filter on Mount Rainier, but not (I know I'm bad) on a remote trailess mountain.

12. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

In my experiance Glacier water is a powder filled thin greul that coats everything with a chalky like texture..........ICK!

My personel best would be the ship creek water supplying Fort Richardson Alaska and environs in the 60s wonder if its still as good?

But I have a spring here thats near as good if not as cold!

13. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

The well water on our property is pretty darn good - but the best water I have ever tasted (and would put up against anyone's) is the water that comes out of a natural spring on our property - cool, clear, water. Very, very tasty.

Penny

14. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

'Crazy Water' from the deep well at the Crazy Water Hotel in Mineral Wells, Tx.

15. mdharris68

mdharris68 Well-Known Member

Best water ever across my lips came from an artesian well drilled in Stargavin Campground, Sitka Alaska. So good that a couple of brothers bought the rights to bottle it.

16. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Ah...yes...the first sip we took from our well after we purchased our home...just south of Berlin. :)

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

For a lot of years a pipe was at the side of the road nearby that produced pure tasteless spring water. Public health closed it down for fear of contamination, which is a reality considering all the traffic and goonballs that could screw things up with that.

I've had lots of places with best tasting water. One was from a lake that is the 7th purest in the world which I canoed into. Before the house was rebuilt, my cistern collected rainwater that was triple filtered via a particulat filter, followed by a carbon filter, and lastly a micropore filter to get drink water. The best drinking water obviously is one you can't taste in the least and refreshes the most.

18. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My creek, filtered with flocking solution and sand filter. The same creek has headwaters nearby and the state highway has faucets on pull out for people to fill jugs. They test it periodically; the pipe is at the headwaters and it's an artesian source.

19. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Ice cold spring water on the Jack's Fork river in August.

20. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I think our well water is pretty darn good, but this summer, I stopped at an artesain well that they let pump all time on B hwy up north of us. That was good. It stayed cold even in the heat. I bottled me some. It just had a smooth pleasant, sweet taste, and quinched the thirst.

If I go back that way, I would like to take a larger container and get more.