Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young rooster (about 2 months old) discovered today that his lower right leg is almost 90 degrees rotated outward, to his upper leg. The left leg is normal. He was raised along with 25 other day old pullets and had planned to keep him. He does not seem to be in pain, and walks on it. I've isolated him for now. Feeling the leg, I can feel a slight gap in the elbow, comparing it to his good leg. He didn't squawk about it at all. I tried to find something similar in this forum or on the internet, but nothing appropriate. If he appeared to be incapacitated or suffering, I know what the decision would likely be. Has anybody experienced similar and were you able to treat it or simply let nature take its course?

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
That happened to one of mine this summer. It wasn't going to get better so I put her down. Sorry.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a hen presently with a similar problem. But it happened on her "knee" joint. There was no remedy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I guess this would be at the knee joint as well. He's getting around fine (although his foot still points to the outside) and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'll keep an eye on him and see how it goes. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts