young ram question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Apr 23, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

My dorset ram lamb is 4 1/2 months now and feeling his oats. The oldest of my other lambs are just 3 weeks, not big enough to hold their own with him.

I'm imagining this as typical 'teen' type behavior, obviously he can't be with the ewes and their lambs (he's been playing hard with the ewes, and I don't want the babies tangled up with him.) Should I find him a similar sized buddy until then? And is this behavior a shadow of what may come with him as a ram? He's wary enough not to come pushing up against me (like the girls do), but not so wary that I'd turn my back on him at this point as he's always just a few feet from me when I'm in the pasture (begging for grain.)

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

He's being a ram and won't alter as he gets older. I take it you have staggered lambing for him to be the age he is and others of 3 weeks. Unless he is pushing them around in a big way, I wouldn't worry about it - I often keep hand reared lambs in with the rams because the ram paddock happens to be convenient to the cowshed for feeding and the rams pretty much ignore them. If your going to separate him, he will do quite well on his own but if you have cows or pigs, it might be an idea to shove him in with them. They provide company and are too big for him to push around. I often put my rams in to the pig paddock to clean it up and they muddle along quite well.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for anyone with a ram - get a "ram blinder" which is simply a halter with leather covering the front so the animal can't see straight ahead. It works very well! Just keep checking to see it doesn't cause sores.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ronnie, I actually purchased him from someone else who had lambs this past winter. I know he won't 'settle down', so to speak, but was hoping he wouldn't be aggressive with the other sheep his entire life (or become more than he is now.) The girls always come running when they see me walk outside, and he just runs alongside and body slams them or tries to head butt with them (they've no interest in playing, however!)

I'm going to work on getting a seperate pasture set up for him and a larger, bossier ewe until the lambs are big enough to hold their own with him later on.