young rabbit with neck problem?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by posifour11, May 16, 2006.

1. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

i have a fryer size bunny that seems to have neck problem. it for the most part looks like it is looking back behind it, but when it does move it's head it wobbles around almost as if it is drunk or has no balance.

i have removed it from the rest in case this is contagious.

does anyone know what this is and if it is preentable?

thanks

2. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

thats wry neck most likely.

Treatment usually fails, and me and my 4-h friends haven't found any good preventatives.

I suggest you out it down.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I double the wry neck, but we have treated it, I believe with penicillin. I would look online for dosage, etc... for rabbits, or call the vet. It COULD possibly be ear mites as well, if they are bad enough. If there is blood/dirt in the ear, it could be that, especially if you see scratch marks from them itching. Do a google search "rabbits wryneck" and see what you come up with, they should explain what causes it, how to treat and prevent, etc...

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

is this a cull it quick and bury deal? i really don't want the rest of my herd to get this. i have too much riding on my sell herd to have something like this take it out.

thanks

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

If it is wry neck, it's a brain parasite that pretty much all domestic rabbits have. It only becomes active in a small minority. So you shouldn't have to worry about it spreading. I have only had one rabbit with the problem, and she did eventually get better. You probably don't want to pass those genes along, though.

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

It COULD be a disease, or it could be a brain parasite or tumor, or they could have had something fall into their ears, or it could be caused by ear mites. LOL I happened to google rabbits wry neck myself and I saw that it can be a huge number of things. In my experience it doesn't pass, but we never had a snuffles problem either, and most breeders have at least a small problem with snuffles (snuffles can also cause wry neck, and I would say that's the most common reason). To be on the safe side, you could cull it, but I would just do your research and see what you are comfortable with after you read up on wry neck. Sounds like there's not much you can do to treat it, at least not with perfect success.

7. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

I would say with the balance problem it is wry neck. If we suspect wry in one of ours you can pick it up by the scruff of the neck and drop it. If it lands on his feet ok it's ok but if it doesn't land on his feet or falls over it's wry. You said yours looks like it's drunk. That is why I'm saying wry.

Wry neck is not contagious. It comes from the genes. Even if the parents or others in the litter do not show signs of the head tipping. Sometimes it will fix itself on it's own but if it doesn't the head can actually turn completely upside down and the animal will starve to death. I've never treated with medications, I always cull, then watch to see if it comes out in other litters to determine if it is from the sir or dame.

I don't know how old your fryer is :shrug: but I've never seen small rabbits with ear mites. I guess if the mom or others around it had them it could get them but I would think you would have to have an infestation before little ones got them.

8. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Treatment of wry neck from ecuniculi infection:

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm

AND:

From the Merck Vet Manual (online)

9. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

I would definitely cull this animal! There is another disease, the name which escapes me at the moment, where the head is tilted BACK onto its back like someone pulling straight back on its ears, whereas "Wry Neck" has the head tilted to the SIDE. Two different diseases with two different causes. I wouldn't take any chances, if I were you.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

10. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Best to cull and bury it. Put the poor thing out of its misery.