Young enough to breed-bucks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I know that doelings go into heat at 2-3 months but I was wondering when do my bucklings become capable of impregnanting my doelings? Their testicles just dropped in the last week or so and of course now they are acting like baby bucks. Do you think they are potent enough to knock up one of their sisters yet? I ask because I can't REALLY separate them right now and it will be at least a week before I can get them to the vet of fixin'. I have 2 boys that are at about the same maturity rate...one was born 6/29 and one was born 7/20. They both have sisters, one I think has "matured" and one is a little behind because she got sick after birth and her growth is a bit stunted. (she's half her brothers size)

We didn't band them at birth because we wanted them to go through puberty because we hear that it helps prevent urinary calculi. (we already went through that earlier this year!)

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

From my understanding if they are old enough to do the deed they can and will...I'm sure someoene with a bit more exp will chime in soon and let us know the real answer

3. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

At two months bucklings can and will breed their sisters!! You should seperate /castrated them as soon as you can, this is the time of year that the doelings are starting to come into heat. :help: you really don't want your doelings having kids at 7 and 8 months!! :nono:

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree with all of the above. I know I shouldn't be here read "I think the situation just got worse" or "Help this is a real Emergency", and you will know that I have a little doeling that will probly give birth at7-8 months old. False information from the guy we bought our Boer goats from, we got our mutts elswhere (by the way the guy also lied to us in other ways),led me to believe that doelings cannot get pregnant until 4 months old. She was with her father and brother up till 3 months old, we did however know that boys, as said above will get the deed done when their sisters are ready.

5. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

That is exactly right. I castrate all my bucklings at 2 to 3 weeks of age. The few bucklings I do keep to sell as bucks I seperate from their sisters at 2 months of age.