Young doeling coughing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I purchased a doeling a couple months ago. She was wormed before I took her home. I wormed them all again with Safeguard. Then last month I wormed them with Ivermectin. I noticed the new doeling coughing every now & then and then my son said she coughed up a worm. So I immediately began Ivermectin. She got it for 5 days. At about day 3, one of my bucklings coughed a couple times. So I put them all on it again. They were on this last month, is this too soon? I did notice the doelings stool is real soft. I give them probiotic and/or yogurt every time I dose them. Usually I give them both. They think they are getting treats, LOL. Anyway, is Ivermectin ok for the cough or is there something else I should give them. Oh yeah, I just finished up giving them a round of Co-Rid last week. Is all this too much for their delicate little systems?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I think you need to take a deep breath. You have gotten some very bad advice about using the wormer the way you are, and it's very unlikely that your doe coughed up a worm.

Like trying to get folks to stop using TBZ back in the early 90's (it no longer worked) or Combiotic in the mid 90's (resistance) and nobody wanted to listen, grandpa used these and his goats were fine :) Not until they were taken off the market did many believe it. Safeguard simply is not the drug of choice anymore. Yes it will work for tapes, at 3 to 5 times the dosage given for 3 days. Valbazen works at 1cc per 10 pounds given once. Which is less drug for the liver? Plus Valbazen also works on lungworm...although I highly doubt your kid has lungworm, since you referred to her as a doeling.

Ivermectin also works on lungworm, 2cc per 100 pounds given orally (the 1% cattle injectable form) it also is really good on adult worms in the system, problem is how it works is by causing neurological problems in the worm, so they release from blood sucking, paralysing them so they are not able to grasp, so they are pooped out, alive. This action can also go across the imature blood brain barrier of young kids, so is not a good choice to worm infant kids with. I don't use it or Cydectin (same basic family of drug, just modernized) on kids until they are 9 to 12 weeks old.

Put the wormer away. If it was lungworm than you killed it, and all the rumen flora with it. If you want to go after worms in an adult goat you can use the wormers every 10 days for 3 times, this will break the lifecyle of the worms in your goats. But using it day after day does nothing but harm the goats liver. They have to process all this stuff we give them. If you see tape worm segments (pieces of rice) in the poop than get some Stongid or Valbazen from the vet. Give the Safeguard to someone who will use it on their horse.

Do you know the difference between coughing and a doeling learning to throw up her cud? They can be quite dramatic about it in the beginning, and I bet this is what your son saw.

Probiotics, everyday, 3 times a day, 5grams, until the tube is gone. You need to rebuild the rumen flora/bacteria.

Ton's of really good sites out there to read and ask questions on. Fiascofarm.com saanendoah.com dairygoatsplus.com and the archives here. When you hear information that you have never read anywhere else, like the use of this wormer for 5 days, ask before you do it. Shoot, even information from a vet should be double checked on a dairy board.

Good luck with the kids. Vicki

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki. I'll do that. NO more wormer for now. I'm giving her probiotic daily and she seems better. You could be right, maybe she is trying to cough up her cud. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the advice.