Young Doe Problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by d37fan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. d37fan

d37fan Well-Known Member

I need some advise for this doe that I have. Today she had her second litter on the wire instead of in the nest box. I can understand having her first litter that way not knowing what to do but this is the second time she has done it. She didn't pull hair either time, or get into the nest box. I caught her in time today and put the young into the box with her to but she won't have any thing to do with them and won't stay in the box. any ideas? I can't afford and won't have a doe that wont prodouce in the bunch, I am not raising pets, but food. Thank you for any help.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The doe won't stay with her young the way a dog or cat does. They go in and let them nurse once or twice a day, and aside from that, stay away.

That being said, if I was raising rabbits for meat, and I was feeding a doe who was not productive, well....I'd have rabbit stew, and get another doe. In this particular case, I'd see if she'd raise this litter first, unless I had other does with new litters I could foster to. But if she were mine, it'd be her last litter.

Meg...just call me ruthless!

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I totally agree. She doesn't sound like a good mother. Pull out some of her fur for the babies, and see what happens, and if she doesn't take care of them "off with her head!" :).

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

its pretty normal for a new mommy the first time to lose a litter, especially f she has them at night, or on the wire, as for this time, i would watch her, look at the baby bunns tummies, do they look fed? round tummies, etc.

cats are predators, same as dogs, so they can afford to spend all day with thier young, rabbits are prey, and wont draw attention to the babies or the nest by staying with them all day

if she doesnt raise this litter, personally, even though i raise mine for meat too, i would give her one last chance... some mommies it takes longer ot get the hang of it, if you can foster her kits, but only if they look like they arent being fed, i assume you have the nest box lined with straw and spare hair , right ?

3rd times the charm , if she doesnt get it by then , then rabbit stew her,
    some does seem to need more time to mature than others ... but there is the chance that shes simply not designed for the "mommy track"
    good luck
    Beth

5. d37fan

d37fan Well-Known Member

I think she might have figured out what she is supposed to do, after I put them in the box and put her in there a couple of times. So far so good. I raised rabbits when I was younger and have gotten back into them a couple of years ago and have never had this problem before. Thank you for the replys.