Young Bull Down

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

This bull is about 18 months old. He has been healthy all along, then came down with what appears to be pnuemonia. Snots, coughing. Got him in, gave him LA200. The next day he was down, but I could make him get up. He was very wobbly on his feet. Shot him with Nuflor and banamine.

The next day (yesterday), he was down and not getting up. He made a few attempts, but could not get his feet under him. I spent hours warming him up with my shop heater, burying him in straw to try to get some of the stiffness out of him. We tried picking him up with the loader, but he just hung there like a wet noodle so we put him back down. The vet gave me another shot of banamine, but it did not appear to do much good.

Today, he is still down, though he has been flopping around. Probably trying to get up like yesterday. He is eating and drinking. He can have another shot of Nuflor today. I should probably back off the banamine, but if he doesn't get up, he's going to die, so I guess it's the lesser of the evils. At least he is turning himself as he flops. He also can remain upright, which is good.

I am puzzled by this. I have had no sick calves at all. They were all weaned about two months ago (sold most of them, but have about 15 still). They have no snots or anything. This bull has had his shots and all, but it almost looks to me like he has Haemophilus due to the lack of coordination (I know that can just be caused by being down so long, but it's different that just stiff legs...can't describe it). I'm wondering how in the heck a healthy young bull got so sick! I know it just happens sometimes, but I am also wondering if there might be something else I should be looking for. Hardware always comes to mind, but isn't that what you are supposed to say when you have no clue what the problem is????

I really want to just shoot the poor guy and get it over with, but hubby won't let me. He never puts anything out of it's misery, even when he admits the chances are slim to none. IF he does manage to recover, I also have serious doubts as to his ability to serve as a herd bull. This really breaks my heart as he is my one and only South Devon Bull. He is homegrown and I was very proud of him. I couldn't wait to get him on my cows to see what he'd throw....oh well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jena

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

I use to use a product like LA200 only it was called Oxytet 100 instead, and it worked and had them on their feet in about an hour.

You can buy it at the feed stores if they carry it.

DO NOT shake it up or you will have a million bubbles in it and it is vwery thick.
    I think you casn only give about 5cc in each sight at one time.

It is only good for about 8 hours, but is real strong. You will need to give another shot.

If you can not find it give more La200

Is the bull crappen ok ?

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jena, I don't think hardware, the few times I've seen it, they get really dull and tend to just simply waste away and they do lose weight quite quickly and you really haven't mentioned weight loss, you also tend to see drooling with hardware. This bull sounds like he's trying, he still realizes that if he doesn't get up he'll die. Any chance he's got an impacted bowel? I like Nuflor and find it quite effective on calves for a broad range of issues. I sure hope this one turns around for you.

4. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena,

I had a goat that went down a couple days after I wormed her. She ate and drank fine, but couldn't move her hind limbs.

Hers was a worm that invades the spine. The wormer had killed it. When it decomposed it released a toxin that paralyzed her.

I kept her upright and gave her every treatment I could think of. In 5 days she stood. Three days later she was walking fine.

No obvious permanent damage.

If you just wormed the bull, it could be a possibility.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

5. shepsrus

shepsrus Member

DON"T FORGET ABOUT RABIES !! (I have had two painful exposures)!
    Wear gloves if you handle him further!

Could Vit E/Se deficiency be a factor?

What about polio (polioencephalomalacia)?

Like you say, this sounds a lot like Haemophilus--maybe the vaccine was ineffective, got warm, missed the spot...

Nuflor is one of he antibiotics listed as a treatment for H somnus--also Baytril works well.

Try some electrolytes--maybe something with dextrose for a little energy boost.

If he dies or you euthanize him, I would have a necropsy performed--if it is not definitive, have the vet take the head/brain for a Rabies exam.

From reading your posts, you have a lot of time and money invested in your cattle--it doesn't sound like it's worth risking. It's been many years since I practiced veterinary medicine on beef cattle and I'm a little rusty, but as I recall, if I had an animal with neurological/weakness signs, I always gave BoSe (and eventually learned to wear OB sleeves when handling the head and mouth).

shepsrus

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

He's a goner. He's actually gotten much better in terms of the pnuemonia, but much worse in the legs. He still tries a bit, but he can't even move those back legs now.

I don't think the legs are a nuerologcal problem as much as just too much time spent down on the frozen ground. He will be put down today.

I still think it's H and either the vaccine didn't take or I gave it wrong or something. I suppose vaccines are not 100% effective.

I'm going to start looking for another South Devon bull. They are so hard to find...at least ones that still look like a South Devon and not an Angus.

Jena

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Sheps,

All very good advice. We have not had a case of rabies in this county in at least 50 years. It's not Vit E/Se as he was on good mineral. Have to look up polio or ask the vet about that one.

I get puzzled with one weird sick/dead animal. Two sends me into panic mode! I have about 150 head of cattle and I cannot afford a major problem! I'll ask the vet about a necropsy, but I do think it was the pnuemonia, followed by the consequences of being down too long.

Jena

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    There was a case of rabies just north of Danville a few years back, so there is always the odd chance. Can your vet consult with the large animal clinic at the UofI they are very helpfull and would have more knowlage on the odd cases!!
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Jena so very sorry to hear about your bull, I know you were really looking forward to adding his genes to your herd! I am hoping for you to find another, healthy, cheap and willing!

10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

He didn't have rabies. None of the symptoms were there. I looked it up to see.

Jena