Young Bucks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I remember reading something about young bucks producing more male buck kids or something similar. Does anyone know? Yesterday, my doe Napster kidded one buckling. She's the first to produce from Cry Baby my 50% Boer/Nubian buck who is 15 months old. Last year she delivered a buckling and a doeling from a 100% Boer who was five years old. Wondering if Cry Baby's age has anything to do with the single birth and the sex. Also, if it is true they throw more male buck kids when young, at what age is a stud buck considered mature?

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have also read this, but in my limited experience, it has not been the case.
    When we were in Colorado, I brought home a 4 or 5 month old buck who promptly bred all my does. That fall, I also loaned him to a friend. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'm thinking about 2/3 of his kids were does.
    Of mine, three had twin does, one had one of each, and the other had triplet bucks.
    With the more mature buck I have now, I've been getting a few more bucks than does.
    I would think that the single birth would be the dam's issue, and not the sire's.
    I would consider 15 months mature, but am anxious to hear what others think.
    mary

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

watch your does, breed on that first day of heat. and you get more does. THe minute that they start acting like they are in heat. I breed. I usually get more does.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, that's holding true for me. On my buck's 10 month birthday, he had 2 sets of twins born. 3 bucks 1 doe. Hope this evens out more! these are 100% fainter, my FB boer doe is due in 3 weeks from him. Really want a doe to keep, but would like a buck for sausage too.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. This wasn't a planned breeding. After the hurricanes started here, all but two pens were under six inches of water. I had to put all the goats together in one pen and all the pigs together in another. Good to hear that young bucks don't necessarily throw bucklings. Mary, at 15 months this boy doesn't act mature in the way I though he would be. I was expecting a more obnoxious buck- maybe I'm lucky with him still acting like a big baby?

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had 75% does with an 8month old buck 3 years ago
    I used the same buck last season and got 50%

I try to do the red cider vinegar in the water prior to and during breeding. I had a doe that always had two does and a buck or just 2 does...

I think the science behind it is highly variable....

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Marcia, my current buck is about three years old, and is the sweetest thing you'd ever want to manage. He has never, ever been obnoxious like some of the others have been. I hope you will continue to be as lucky with yours.
    Believe me, they can be quite obnoxious much younger than yours.
    mary