young buck in rut

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, Aug 20, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

Well for the past 2 weeks we have had our does in season and at this rate it will continue for a while.The young does who are about 1.5 years old seem to want to run away and escape instead of staying anywhere near him.So expect this to go on for a while.
    the buck is also about 15 monthes old

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

mostlikely you will only see a few of the breedings but he will get the job done,
    with young does though you may have a bit of a spread out on when they all kid, their cycles are not all lined up, once the herd is older and been togather longer they will come pretty well in sink with eachother.

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I'd imagine the next heat each one comes into, they'll warm up to that buck.

Think of it this way..... if you were a goat, and you were suddenly put in with a sinky, pushy male.... who happens to think it's sexy to pee on himself.... wouldn't you run? :p But when those hormones kick in for the does, they'll start thinking that he actually IS sexy.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We got our first bucks last weekend. I got two young Alpines, neither of whom are interested yet, and a 6 or 7 month old Nigerian Dwarf buckling with champion bloodlines.

The ND is cracking us up, and so is the reaction he is getting from the doelings and does.

We've never had bucks before, so we were quite startled, as were the does. There is a very tall and sturdy fence in between them, of combo panel. We are going to reinforce and heighter it with welded wire as the Alpines get bigger and more able to leap the fence.

NONE of the girls has even seen a buck since they were quite young, except for my one mature doe who had triplets last March. SHE knew what he was about. The others, well, it reminded me of junior high school, where boys and girls are starting to be interested in each other, but the boys act like idiots and the girls are like "EWWWWWW! GROSS!" yet they keep coming back...

If they even come near the fence he stomps, snorts, shakes is head with his tongue hanging out---and then he stops and stands there with the tongue still out sideways, looking sooo idiotic! He went into an immediate "rut" and stank to the skies the first couple of days, but now he is calming down. My 11 month old Alpine/Nigie cross is in love with him...