Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6-month old Buff Orpington that has been sitting on 5 - 6 eggs in the nesting box for the last week and half. I have "zero" experience with broody hens and raising "home grown" little chicks.

Do I move her and the eggs away from the rest of the flock? I have a total of 18 - chickens (2 of them being rosters). The nesting box is about 2' off the floor in the hen house. I have the room to move her out and away from the other chickens...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am also new to chickens so I am not speaking from experience but I would let them be and see how it goes. From what I have researched some separate the hen and chicks. Some keep the chicks by them selfs in a brooder box and some just keep every one together. I think it's more of how your flock is and how you think all your hens and roosters would be with baby chicks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I move my broody hens after they have tried to set for a week. The main reason is so other chickens do not lay under her and i can put the eggs that want her to hatch with her. Alot of people just mark the eggs and gather the new ones that go under her. There is no right or wrong way.

Farm junkie

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well tonight we came home to 2 new baby chicks running around in the chicken run. They look healthy enough and the mama seems to be paying them a whole bunch of attention! I am just afraid their days are numbered.

I have 17 chickens (2 of them are roo's) in a 10' x 20' chicken coop during the night. I open the door in the morning before work and they have a 50' x 60' run outside connected to the coop. Around dark they go inside and I shut the door.

The mother (Buff Orpington) was sitting on 8 eggs. I left the rest in there for now. I don't know if she will go back to them or not???

We have incubated our own eggs before but never had a broody hen like this. It has caused quite of a lot of excitement around this place.

What are the chances that these 2 baby chicks make it? Should I separate them with the mother for awhile? Any advice is welcome?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would move them just because she is a first time mom. She should protect them from the other chickens, even roosters but you never know. One of my broody hens will go crazy even on my big tom turkeys if the even get close to her babies. I also have had them leave their babies and go on about their business after hatching.

Farm junkie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts