Young boar

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I noticed a young boar today trying to breed his sisters and cousins. I was planning on putting him in the freezer before he matured. He is only 5.5 months old.
    Is it too late?
    He even has that boar smell, when they are ready to breed.
    I was planning on buying a new boar.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Rob, this boils down to the on-going perennial argument about boars. If he were mine, I would shrug my shoulders and kill him out when I had intended to, others would bring him in and castrate him, and others would separate him from his paddock mates, others would consign him to the offal pit. Up to you but I would have no compunction whatsoever about putting him in the freezer and at that age, he is probably getting close to it?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Yes...Ronnie is right...you have several options. Just a word of warning though, you could spend a bunch of money processing this pig only to have it be inedible. I guess if you are asking advice from us, mine would be to separate him to a pen as far from the girls as practical for a period of a month or even two and then take a chance at processing. I would always try to minimize the risk of stinky meat. Castration is so easy when they are young and that solves all your future problems.

4. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

I am going to add my 2 cents, John and Ron are right, myself I will never Castrate a boar of this age. imho cut them around 7 to 10 days would be idea, worse case to 3 weeks.

5. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Rob, what breed is he?

6. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

I've never had 'em get stinky that were domestic but I've only raised pink pigs. On the wild ones, Black Russians I think, and been ferile for centuries, we hose them down really well and then do not touch the skin and then the meat (they can be very stinky at times). We start skinning them at the head and are carefull not to break the skin or expose the meat directly to the hairy side of the skin. You should be able to avoid touching the outer skin with your knife and once you've gotten going then minimally with your hands. If you touch any musky spot then wash your hands and knife before touching the meat. I learned this from a butcher who is known for his dealing with game and wild hogs. I think he is right. I've not been disappointed and have never had to pitch any meat. Be especially careful at the beginning and in the genital region, though, I suppose, it is like that even if they are not stinky.

Sincerely
    Husband o'G

7. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

He is 1/2 large black the other 1/2 is a duroc/york cross. We have not had any of the largeblacks yet and are looking for it. He is in a pen now with five sisters and 5 step sisters. We are debating on keeping his sisters for sows. But I am afraid he may have bred them. They look like they may have had a heat cycle already.

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Not the end of the world. Chances are the young will be just fine.

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As Tinknal says, it is not the end of the world and the off-spring will be fine even though it will muck up your plans. However, I honestly have my doubts as to whether anything has been bred. You say "it looks like they may have had a heat cycle already". What makes you say that? Had they been on heat I'm sure you would have noticed at the time they were on heat because their behaviour and noise would have alerted you. One boar among 10 sows would have been having a ripping good time :)

It also pays to remember that all young animals will ride each other. I was watching my 8 week old calves doing it this evening and they are a long way off being able to breed. Pigs do it as well; I've had pens where all the pigs have been boars and they've made a right mess of themselves riding each other but it has no effect on the taste. I wouldn't worry about it too much Rob as at 5.5 months old it is unlikely that too much will be breeding despite the fact that boars can be capable of it. Sows normally won't be capable until at least 7-8 months of age. If your are concerned, it would behove you to remove the boar and put him on his own until he has reached the size you want for the freezer.

Cheers,
    Ronney