Registered
34,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But, odds are, you do.

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imagine yourself in the following situation: You sign up for a psychology experiment, and on a specified date you and seven others whom you think are also subjects arrive and are seated at a table in a small room. You don't know it at the time, but the others are actually associates of the experimenter, and their behavior has been carefully scripted. You're the only real subject.

The experimenter arrives and tells you that the study in which you are about to participate concerns people's visual judgments. She places two cards before you. The card on the left contains one vertical line. The card on the right displays three lines of varying length.

The experimenter asks all of you, one at a time, to choose which of the three lines on the right card matches the length of the line on the left card. The task is repeated several times with different cards. On some occasions the other "subjects" unanimously choose the wrong line. It is clear to you that they are wrong, but they have all given the same answer.

What would you do? Would you go along with the majority opinion, or would you "stick to your guns" and trust your own eyes?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
You wont believe me anyway so why answer? If I say I do then I am wrong. If I say I wont then I am wrong.

But, I have had things like this happen already and I went against the crowd. It have had it even happened on here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That study should surprise precisely nobody these days. Fortunately, I would act like the crazy guy and would have no hesitance to opine about the idiots claiming Joe won. Er, line 1 matches.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
This study was done in 1958. I'm not sure that in the form it was presented, that it's valid today.

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
This study was done in 1958. I'm not sure that in the form it was presented, that it's valid today.
You are correct. Today the cards would still have vertical lines but the question would be 'How many lines are horizontal' and anyone who answered with any number above zero would be declared a genius. Anyone with an IQ above 10 who looks around at any number of things can tell people are getting dumber. As an example, in 1958 everyone knew what sex they were.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You wont believe me anyway so why answer? If I say I do then I am wrong. If I say I wont then I am wrong.

But, I have had things like this happen already and I went against the crowd. It have had it even happened on here.
Bingo.

It reminds me of a thread about what you’d do if your life was lived antibellum and you inherited a slave-stocked plantation. Even though there actually were lots of antibellum abolitionists, the only right answer was that you’d accept your inheritance and be thankful.

Meh.

I’m sure these threads serve some purpose.

·
Registered
238 Posts
NONSENSE! The human race hasn't evolved much in thousands of years. If anything, it has devolved. That study is absolutely as relevant today as in 1958.

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's say we are less likely to be influenced on an individual basis by peer pressure.

It appears to me we have simply expanded our individual decisions into a segregated identity group.

Reactions: Wolf mom

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
I would do just like I did in my government class when everyone was telling me I had the wrong answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts