Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I thought it was misspelled on my cans all this times.
Both are correct I discovered in my quest for answers online.

How long till kerosene goes bad? Any idea?
My heater STINKS this year. I think I got bad kero at my usual source. My hunch in he filled the tank at the end of last season and it sat until now, that's about 5 or 6 months.

Thought it was water in my cans and treated it with a bit of alcohol. No help.
I have a new wick. Just installed a catalyst disc. No help.

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
How long till kerosene goes bad? Any idea?
My heater STINKS this year.
Yeah, it can get a little stinky from the previous year, but at $4.07/gallon I put up with it. I only had maybe 1.5 gallons left over. That went fast.

·
Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher
1,974 Posts
I've used kerosene that was over a year old in my lamps and heater. It does stink a little more for sure but the stuff isn't cheap. I only use Kerosene as backup only after using it for a winter to heat the living room in the house. It was right around 4-5 bucks a day and didn't do too much more than keep the frost off the furniture.

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
I've used kerosene that was over a year old in my lamps and heater. It does stink a little more for sure but the stuff isn't cheap. I only use Kerosene as backup only after using it for a winter to heat the living room in the house. It was right around 4-5 bucks a day and didn't do too much more than keep the frost off the furniture.
I just use it as emergency heat also. It keeps our place comfortable, but it is inconvenient to not have a thermostat. It's a lot stinkier than propane too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has to be another crazy person besides me who has resorted to heating solely with Kero.
Thanks for the comments on age of fuel. I knew I wasn't that crazy to think this stench was normal and alike to past years.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
We have one rental property that is heated with Heating Oil. The curetn renters calim that heating with it causes the asthma to be set off. To heat the house they use Kerosene heaters. It is quite interesting since both parents and their two children all smoke like chimmneys.

We just sent them a notice requireing them to clean the wall and ceilings as their kerosene heaters apparently are not adjusted properly and coating the walls with soot. It is nasty.

If you heat with Kerosene, then make sure you have ventilation and that the wicks are adjusted properly.

Jim

·
Registered
284 Posts
No Kidding!?

I thought they were spelling it wrong as well, I had always thought it was kerosene. Saw a hand made sign on the pump and my self-righteous, holier than thou, not-quite-as-erudite-as-I-thought self snickered and thought, "stupid people". Ah well. I'm sure crow is good for me.

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
There has to be another crazy person besides me who has resorted to heating solely with Kero.
Thanks for the comments on age of fuel. I knew I wasn't that crazy to think this stench was normal and alike to past years.
I started last winter with heating with kero only, but my kero furnace doesn't have a thermostat. I got a little tired of running downstairs to adjust the furnace flame 3 or 4 times per night, as if I were a human thermostat. I installed a propane furnace with a thermostat about the middle of last December.

Kerosene is a little cheaper than propane on a strictly btu to btu comparison, but the convenience of a thermostat is well worth it.

·
Voice of Reason
53,227 Posts
We have one rental property that is heated with Heating Oil. The curetn renters calim that heating with it causes the asthma to be set off. To heat the house they use Kerosene heaters. It is quite interesting since both parents and their two children all smoke like chimmneys.
Yes, kerosene fumes are a lot worse that propane fumes. Kerosene heat even makes your clothes smell of kero. They can get a ventless propane furnace for under $150 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMFORT-GLOW-20K-PROPANE-WALL-HEATER-VENT-FREE-TSTAT_W0QQitemZ330281231785

That's what I use. Trust me, it will change their lives. They'll be healthier, more comfortable, and have the convenience of a thermostat. Your soot problem will also be cured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts