you might be a homesteading redneck if

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kentuckyhippie, May 30, 2005.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

you use the car up on blocks in your back yard to dry your herbs. I set my trays of herbs in the back window and on the dash and roll up the windows and it works great

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

you use the tires off the car as raised planting beds

you use the rims off the car, mounted to the side of your doublewide, to hang your hosepipes on

you use the rusted, broken down travel trailer as a chicken coop

3. kentuckyhippie

if you use the hood as a sled in the winter
    if its used as a spare room when the grandkids stay over
    if you use the one with a sunroof as a mini greenhouse in the spring
    LOL

4. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

You drive by what others see as a pile of junk on the side of the road, and you see the materials needed to complete half a dozen projects you have going.

Something goes buzz around your head and you pause to make sure it's not a honey bee before you swat it.

A woodchuck eats your flower bed and you start looking up woodchuck recipies

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

You post a message about your feral guinea pig problem, Sorry Ozark 1, still laughing at that one.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

y'all are a riot!!

i used to dry apples, between clean white sheets, on the hood and truck of old cars in the yard. worked better than any dehydrator, faster and didn't burn them. LOL!! yep and i mean to try that old car/ greenhouse idea!

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

you're a homesteading redneck IF

----you listen to a police scanner to keep up with the local news!
    ----you check your shoes for chicken manure or other manure whenever you go anywhere. (or also check your clothes for Angora rabbit fur, that's what I have to do too!)
    ---you have EVER painted a vehicle with a paint brush and regular paint!!!! (yes we did it to a truck and it looked great! ha!)
    ---you've ever used a canning jar for a flower vase.
    ---your husband gives you a "romantic" roll of chicken wire for Valentine's Day---and you are THRILLED!!!!

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

---or your husband gives you a .410 shotgun for Christmas and you are equally THRILLED!!!!!

(I am SO a homestead redneck!!!!)

9. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

My Girlfriend and kids came over for the weekend to camp out where we are going to build our "Homestead"--House Etc. She said before they came over "if I had the Wal*Mart pool(about 2500 gal) filled it would give the kids something to do---she said, "but the water will be to cold"-----------I told her I would take care of everything------So this is what I want to know if it makes me a REDNECK--------I took a roll of 1/2" copper pipe wrapped it tight around a 55gal barrel 10 times, then set it about 20ft from the pool, hooked hose adpters to the coil-------built a fire in the barrel, turned the water on, it went into the copper coil, went around the hot barrel 10 times then into the pool. When everyone got their the next day---the pool was full of 87degree water-----------to top it all of-------I got my 8ftx16ft utility trailer(wooden floor) parked it right beside the pool-----Yea A Deck-------we called it a REDNECK Deck-------beat getting out the pool in the dirt. So, Tell Me Do I Qualify as a REDNECK??? LOL Randy

10. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

--if your idea of a fun filled afternoon is digging through someone's junk pile to see what you could use around your place.

--one of your "true stories" is about a renegade guinie pig (I too find that story funny; but I must admit I once had a oppossum loose in my house!)

11. calico

calico Member

Yep,
    I used a broken down truck for a mini greenhouse to start off some seedlings and plants, roll the windows up at night and roll them down a little in the daytime.
    Calico

12. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

My oh my...you shore are one smart suthurn boy...that's about as cool an idea as I've heard in a long time...wonder where I can git me one of those barrels since all the barrels I have are PLASTIC. We can't even raid the dumpsters anymore down here in this part of GA...it's gittin a little too citified for me here. BTW - my belgian mare came from Trenton, SC. That's a right nice area of SC.

Sidepasser

13. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I am trying that "greenhouse car" thing, we got a car in the yard that it costs too much to fix.

"you're a redneck if the TV you are watching is sitting on top of a TV that doesn't work." Jeff Foxworthy

"I was at a buddy's house and he said, "You wanna watch cops?" so I said "yea" and we went outside to sit on the porch. AND it was a rerun..figure that out." Larry the Cable guy

14. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

bamasuzy- canning jars are all we used for drinking glasses for years and years! they last way better than regular glasses in a house full of kids!! LOL!! they work great to take a cup of coffee in the car too- fit right in the cup rack.

15. kentuckyhippie

"you're a redneck if the TV you are watching is sitting on top of a TV that doesn't work." Jeff Foxworthy

for years we had one tv with a good picture but no sound sitting on top of tv with sound buy no picture. really confused visitors if you forgot to change channels on both of them at the same time LOL

does having part of my wall paper stapled to the wall cause I ran out of paste also qualify me as a redneck???

16. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

if you build your kids a pool out of plastic sheeting and 8 bales of hay ( sorry no heater, they needed to cool off)

toboggan down the basement stairs if it's raining outside

17. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

The little 8 ounce wide mouth jelly jars make great bowls for toddlers. The taller jelly jars make good drinking glasses because they are very, very sturdy :)

We are still driving our truck that should be recycled!

Ann

18. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

Hey! My chicken coop in Tennessee is a guted 19 foot travle tralor.

--My husband got me a egg incubator with a turner for mothers day--and yes I was thrilled! My co workers looked at me like I was nuts! :haha:

19. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Your yard is the first place the neighbors look when they need a board, piece of rebar or something else to repair or build something with.

If your favorite "ladder" means standing in the back of your pickup truck.

You tell your neighbors "them there plants are HERBS not weeds" then have to check to see if the ones being talked about really are herbs.

when asked why you have not mowed your yard yet you answer "If I did that then where would all the wildlife live?" or "What? And harm or scare the little bunnies that live in there?"

20. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

If your dogs would rather roll in your neighbor's cow pies than get in your pickup then you might be a homesteading redneck. :haha: